Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Souper Picky SD

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 1:58 PM
  • 42 Replies

Really.  This has no relevance to stepparenting or blended life in the least little bit.

It doesn't belong in this group so I am going to pretend that does.

I have a picky eater of a SD.  I don't really care.  I don't fight food battles but she does like soup.  Ramen.  Chicken Noodle. Tomato.

So um... Does anyone have a really yummy tomato soup recipe?

Never mind that she's not even here, right now, and won't be for several more days.

This is for her. Seriously.  It is I promise.  I mean, I cannot breathe and my head feels like it is going to explode but... sure... SD.

It's all about SD. I need to perfect the recipe before I test it out on her.  Yeah... that's it.  That's what I'll go with.

by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DDDaysh
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I have tried and tried with tomato soup, but I still can't make it as good as Jason's Deli or L'Madalines.  :-( 

My best recipe involves a can of diced tomatoes, left over spaghettis sauce, garlic, red wine, and milk.  It's acceptable, but not the same. 

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 2:15 PM

It's actually one of the few soups that I have never attempted to make but it sounds so good, right now.  I've heard that Nordstrom has excellent tomato soup but have never tried it.

Quoting DDDaysh:

I have tried and tried with tomato soup, but I still can't make it as good as Jason's Deli or L'Madalines.  :-( 

My best recipe involves a can of diced tomatoes, left over spaghettis sauce, garlic, red wine, and milk.  It's acceptable, but not the same. 

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Have you given her any cheese dip? Lol!!

Being serious try Pinterest they have many yummy looking tomato soup recipes.
AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM

OOooo... that's a good idea.  I always forget about pinterest for anything other than homeschooling and crafts. Thanks.

And... I don't think she likes cheese dip.  She likes cheese sandwhich and cheese on her tacos and salad... but I don't know if I've ever seen her eat dip.  At least I don't have to worry about my queso dissapearing!

Quoting MommySabs: Have you given her any cheese dip? Lol!!

Being serious try Pinterest they have many yummy looking tomato soup recipes.

gangof6
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 2:22 PM

I know you asked for recipes for tomato soup BUT i have a good one for the ramen soup....add a dollop of sour cream. So delicious!!! Good luck!

"Count Your Blessing Rather Than Dwelling In Your Disasters." ~ Ray Lamontagne

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM

ive heard about sour cream and mayo in ramen and sounds blech! i like it with cilantro and green onions in it. oh and cabbage. and the red pepper from pizza delivery. and lemon and black pepper.

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 4:30 PM

That I could see being good.  Now sure how anyone else would feel.  I put hot dogs and peas in when making it for my two. 

Quoting gangof6:

I know you asked for recipes for tomato soup BUT i have a good one for the ramen soup....add a dollop of sour cream. So delicious!!! Good luck!

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Mayo?  EWWW. Sour cream I could see to make it creamy.  Especially the Asian one.  Maybe add some mushrooms.  LOL.  I've never tried cilantro before, though I rarely actually eat ramen.  Every now and then I'll make it for the kids and "steal" some of the broth...

Quoting faerie75:

ive heard about sour cream and mayo in ramen and sounds blech! i like it with cilantro and green onions in it. oh and cabbage. and the red pepper from pizza delivery. and lemon and black pepper.

minimoo
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 4:35 PM
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/creamy-tomato-soup-recipe/index.html

I make it then put it in the crock pot. Although, I did 2 strips of bacon (not going to lie, 3, then ate one lol). And add more tomato. Delish. "SD" will love it.
RobinBright
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 4:37 PM

This popped up on my home page, here is my fave:

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 medium sweet onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes in their juices, preferably San Marzano
  • 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream

Oil and butter over medium til the butter foams a little-- salt, pepper, onion.  15ish minutes, until the onion browns and smells amazing. 

Add tomatoes + their liquid, crush up the big chunks as you stir.  Add the chicken broth and bay leaves.  Simmer til the tomatoes fall apart.  (10 min?  15?)

Cool for a few minutes, run it through the blender until the lumps are gone.  Put it back over low heat and slowly stir in the cream.

Fresh basil on top, a little creme fraiche, BAM!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN