Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need suggestions- PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:36 AM
  • 5 Replies

DS wants to go to a basketball camp this summer. It is pricey but it is a very good camp. I have to take summer classes on the college campus it is going to be held on. So travel isn't in issue. But it is pricey. DH and I are paying no matter what but we want DS to earn at least half.

So what can he do as fundraisers? I thought about a bake sale but then I would probably be doing more work than him and that defeats the purpose. I don't want him to work around the house because we believe chores are a part of life and you don't get paid to clean your own home. I am drawing a blank...

His BF and I do the one week here and one week there schedule.

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Leigh84
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:00 AM
How old is ds? If you know your neighbors maybe he could offer to do yard work for them?
pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Babysitting?  

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:13 AM
I was going to ask the same a Leigh. Is he old enough to offer lawn mowing or yard work.
SassyMom25
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM
I would have him do chores outside the norm of what he usually does.
Birdseed
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM

If you're planning to enroll him anyway and he's got som time to earn the money, then I think I'd ask him to research what kinds of things he can and wants to do.

If he's good about mowing, raking, yard work, etc, he could put together a flyer for the neighborhood and see if anyone needs help with that. If he likes kids, he could take the Red Cross Babysitter Training and get First Aid/CPR certification and put out a flyer about that.  If you have any longer term projects at your house that he could do--like scraping paint off of outside trim and repainting--he could get paid for that.  Depending on his age, I would even consider "paying" him to do volunteer work.  Some kids aren't old enough to be employed but they can volunteer at a nursing home on a regular basis doing puzzles and playing cards with elderly folks.

If you have any farms nearby, most are always looking for stall cleaners,  or people to help put up hay. I hired many a kiddo from my neighborhood to help me put up hay.  And as a kid, spent a lot of time helping on other peoples' farms doing the same.

I think that if he wants it badly enough, he'll think up something. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)