Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kind of OT, but man, it's really nice when you DO have a little extra $$ to throw at the kids

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM
  • 0 Replies

We have had a few difficult years financially.  Haven't been able to give the kids all the things DH would like to but they're well cared for.

Eldest SD is turning 16 next week and like most kids, wanted a car.  Unfortunately, that's not something we can do right now but since DH's employment situation has changed, it's in the works.

What we COULD do was get her something else special for her 16th bday.  Got her some really cute Tiffany earrings.  Every gal wants a little Tiffany jewelry, right?  I had planned to have a ring custom made for her with a stone she saw in one of my rings and liked.  That's been in the works since this summer but Mom ended up buying a ring so SD14 (little sis) suggested earrings.  Good catch by SD14 as she knew everyone's plans! She is a good little sis!

Anyway, SD (nearly 16) got her blue Tiffany box yesterday and sent an email and pics thanking us.  That wasn't her only gift but I still cherish the necklace my own mother had made for me for my Sweet Sixteen and had hoped we could get her a piece that she could enjoy for a long time.

If it weren't for DH being willing to take a kind of dangerous job overseas away from us all, we couldn't have afforded this special item.  It's so nice to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and have a little more money coming in so we can do things like this for the kids.

Not worrying about bill collectors, not worrying about car payments, not worrying about putting gas in the tank--that's all great.  But it's an even better feeling to be able to give a gift that a year ago, we couldn't have given.  It is REALLY nice to be able to do this without eating ramen for a few weeks to compensate. Not gonna lie.

That is all.  Not so debateable.  Just a thought.  Made me smile when I got her email.  Her dad will be happy when he see it too.

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)