Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Checking teenager's phone

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:32 AM
  • 32 Replies
Today, my husband checked my 13 year old stepdaughter's phone. He rarely does it, but it's constantly getting in the way of her doing her chores and school work. The last time he checked her phone he found some alarming information. This was a few months ago. While we trust her, we don't feel there's anything wrong with checking her phone periodically. Needless to say, my SD was upset.
I should add that we aren't the ones providing the phone. Her mom has been providing her with a phone for years so she could "stay in touch" with her.
Do any of you disagree with checking her phone...and if so, why?
Thanks!
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommySabs
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:14 AM
Dh checks dss phone and I will check my kids phones when they get them. Dss was informed when he got the phone that it is subject to dad check at anytime. Kids can get into stupid situations that can land them in big trouble.
HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:52 AM
Before the child turns 18, you are responsible for their actions in all ways: damn right you should be checking their phone! If nothing else, it is a periodic verification that there is nothing going on. For two of the three teens in this house, phone checks are incredible dull. For the third, here are some samples of some texts that were found:
I am going to bring a gun and bomb to school (from a friend to her)
You don't blow, really you suck..he taught me how (she was 15)
Wow, how pregnant are you (the friend was 14)
There were lots and lots more. All of the kids are aware that the phones get checked. There were also inappropriate pictures of her and ones she took of her friends, so they would have sexy pictures too - all deleted.
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it is appropriate for a father to check his 13yo DD's phone.

Why is 'stay in touch" in quotes? 

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 7:54 AM
4 moms liked this
If he found alarming stuff on her phone why has it been a few months since he checked it again?
malinda74
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:25 AM
This...exactly this.

Quoting MommySabs: Dh checks dss phone and I will check my kids phones when they get them. Dss was informed when he got the phone that it is subject to dad check at anytime. Kids can get into stupid situations that can land them in big trouble.
shanlee42
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:40 AM
This.

Quoting AmericanDream: If he found alarming stuff on her phone why has it been a few months since he checked it again?
peregrinus
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 8:55 AM

I don't care who is paying for the phone, it should be monitored.  As long as parents can be held accountable for their children's actions they are responsible for knowing what their children are doing.  

CrunchMaMaBear
by Queen Crunch on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:04 AM
I would check my dd phone, so I think its deff ok to do
jlg12678
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Any responsible adult should be checking/monitoring their kids online behavior even if it's only periodically...I don't care how great a kid might be there is way too much that can happen through online connections and it's the parent's responsibility to ensure their child is behaving appropriately and being kept safe from online bullying/predators.

NTMBeth
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:29 AM

What about Twitter? Do you all feel its appropriate for the parent to watch the feed for anything alarming?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)