Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Sister wives, and you think having a nosy BM/SM is bad...

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:04 PM
  • 112 Replies
Do any of you watch sister wives on TLC? You think having a BM is bad, imagine having her still married to your dh.

Another one for you... I grew up in the group that the Brown family is in. My dad has 2 wives. While its all crazy, my parents group is not like the Colorado group, marrying their teens off to old men and what not. Growing up I was in public school and was able to make all my own decisions. I left the group when I was 19. It's definitely still hard to comprehend even though I grew up in it. I always think I'm just glad my husbands ex, is just that, HIS EX!
by on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leeandram07
by New Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:07 PM
Ya I couldn't even imagine if my fiancées ex was my sister wife. That would be horrible. I couldn't even imagine. I don't honestly know how the browns do it.
Annawest
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:07 PM

The show is my guilty pleasure.  But I can tell you what, even if I did believe in plural marriage, if SO was still married to BM, no matter how much I loved him, I would NOT be a part of that.

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Did both your dad's wives live with you guys?  How many kids did your mom have?  And the second wife?  Did the wives seem happy?

LOL. Sorry to pry.  I just couldn't imagine it.  I'd love someone around to help out and talk to but I could never have another woman living here, married to my husband and sharing our home.  It would be too weird.  

KarmaBusDriver
by ChiefBottleWasher on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I used to work with a girl who was of that faith. I also know the Browns, I think they are a great family and wish them nothing but the best.

To be honest, I would have no problem having sister wifes. I would love to be part of a big family, the kind where the women are committed to each other. I'm not much of a possessive or jealous type so having a husband in common would not bother me, so long as the drama wasn't there.

its all about the women, not about the man. If the women don't like each other, it would be a no go. It's usually the wife(s) who seek out a new wife and ask the man to court her and bring her into the family, it's never about the man finding women to bring home and saying too bad bitches! (Atleast if it's practiced in the correct way)

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:22 PM

I have no issues with grown adults choosing plural marriage. I could never do it there is no way in hell I would be able to share my husband like that. I don't think there is anything wrong with those that choose it though.

Side note I watch that show and seriously wonder if Mary will stay committed now that her daughter is gone. She just seems more and more unhappy and not committed to the lifestyle.

peregrinus
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:30 PM

I would loose my flippin mind.  

mcsmom1
by Member on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:32 PM

I lived in Utah for awhile and saw some of the FLDS folks. I never have understood why any man would want to listen to more than one woman complain. lol.

My SO's exwife and I refer to ourselves as "sister wives" just to be smartasses. We get along.

cdrainey3
by Cher on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:34 PM
It's ok, ask away. My mom has 7 children and my dads other wife has 10. I love my big family, but my mom and my dads other wife hated and still hate each other. I can't stand when we have to do a family trip or a holiday all together, because with out fail some shit goes down. My worst fear growing up is I wouldn't be truly loved by my husband. I dated a married man and knew I would love his wife but was so afraid he wouldn't really love me. Men marry more than one wife all the time just because they think they have to. That's when I left the group. I just knew I couldn't do it. I never felt so much relief in my life and now I'm married to a man who is amazing to me! He loves and respects my dad, but doesn't understand how he does it. We lived in a deplex, so each mom had their own home but connected. My family is awesome. There can be a lot of drama, but there's a lot more love than anything. If I just ignore my mom and dads other wife things are good. The brown family is a very rare thing. Most sister wives hate each other and I think the browns put on a great act.

Quoting AmericanDream:

Did both your dad's wives live with you guys?  How many kids did your mom have?  And the second wife?  Did the wives seem happy?

LOL. Sorry to pry.  I just couldn't imagine it.  I'd love someone around to help out and talk to but I could never have another woman living here, married to my husband and sharing our home.  It would be too weird.  

cdrainey3
by Cher on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:37 PM
Oh she will stay. She truly believes she will go to hell if she leaves. Plus her daughter is really into it too, so she would disappoint her daughter. I know she's not happy. Can you imagine watch all these other women have children with your husband but you can't?

Quoting soonergirl980:

I have no issues with grown adults choosing plural marriage. I could never do it there is no way in hell I would be able to share my husband like that. I don't think there is anything wrong with those that choose it though.

Side note I watch that show and seriously wonder if Mary will stay committed now that her daughter is gone. She just seems more and more unhappy and not committed to the lifestyle.

Boobear110
by Audra on Feb. 23, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I'm watching it right now. My BFF got me into it. I thought she was crazy when she told me about it. Now I love it.

how was it growing up this way? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)