Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

SD wants to go to Miley Cyrus "concert", not thrilled, bad example for my 12 yr old

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM
  • 83 Replies

Hi there-

I'm 41, have my 13 yr old son, 12 yr old daughter, and have been married to my wonderful husband since 8/13.  His daughter lives w/ us almost full time.  She's 15, and wants $80 to go a miley cyrus show.  I am very much opposed to this, but have kept it to myself.  I feel ms. cyrus is completely raunchy and inappropriate for a young girl.  Her shows are simulated sex acts, smoking pot, etc.  I feel my sweet husband and I are going to have a disagreement regarding this.  I don't want this celebrated and talked about around my sweet 12 yr old 6th grader who happens to enjoy more wholesome activities.

I am thinking we are on different wavelengths here, like he will do ANYTHING to try to make her happy.  Should I just shut up and drop it and resign myself to the fact that we don't agree on what is appropriate for our kids?

Thanks, and I'm not a prude either!

-Kitty

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommySabs
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes you should. If he feels it is okay for his daughter to go then that is his call. If you wouldn't let your daughter go that's your call.
FreedomTruth
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Why not have a conversation with the kids about why not to idolize actors, musicians, professional athletes. My 7 year old likes Miley Cyrus. She has some good music. However he knows not to idolize any of these people.

peregrinus
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM

NO!  No way in hell.

baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I got free tickets to Britney Spears when my DD was 12. I took her. Lots of people thought it was nuts. Well, she is 18 now and off to college and has never been in trouble.

SnapIt
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM
I wouldnt take my dd and i wouldnt take his either
skittleshawk
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Its his child.Her shows should be 17 up due to whats in them.Miley is 21 now and no longer a child her shows are not advertized towards children and arent appropriate for them.If idiot parents let their kids go its their faults.If youve watched any entertainment news this week shes put a fans thong in her mouth and took a sip of a fans beer as well as pretended to give a clinton inpersonator a bj. google it you can show the article to your hubby and there are picutures see what he says then.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/19/bangerz-tour-shut-down_n_4815160.html

lilmom71
by New Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I don't blame you what she considers art I consider being a slut and getting away with it.  That is just me though and how I was raised. 

mjmorrison
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

DD is sweet and wholesome with you, but unless she is home schooled she is already being exposed to things like Miley Cyrus.

If Dad gives her the money and agrees she can go then leave it alone.

baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting skittleshawk:

Its his child.Her shows should be 17 up due to whats in them.Miley is 21 now and no longer a child her shows are not advertized towards children and arent appropriate for them.If idiot parents let their kids go its their faults.If youve watched any entertainment news this week shes put a fans thong in her mouth and took a sip of a fans beer as well as pretended to give a clinton inpersonator a bj. google it you can show the article to your hubby and there are picutures see what he says then.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/19/bangerz-tour-shut-down_n_4815160.html

I just watched that. Nah, I wouldnt pay for that garbage either. That would be like taking a kid to go see Two Live Crew back in my day. You just wouldnt do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN