Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

BM wants to change ss's school

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:13 PM
  • 21 Replies
BM is renting a new house (her 9th or 10th in less than 4 years) and has decided she wants to change ss's school. She says it's bc the other school is better, but in actuality it's just bc her house is literally in the school's school zone. There's no difference between his school now and this one. We've actually had friends complain about this particular school and tell us we shouldn't switch him. Our concerns are that he just got used to his school now, knows everyone, and is starting to do well now when he had a rough start and what if she moves yet again...we aren't zoned for that school. What if he has to switch schools again the next year? The big question is when should we go to mediation over it? I can't remember when it is you sign up for school but I don't think it's much time before school starts back. Should we do it now or wait until she actually enrolls him?

We currently are using our address for schools and have used our address since sd8 started school. Custody is split 50/50 we switch every Monday. Shes primary solely for child support reasons any other decisions are joint per parenting plan.

UPDATE: We have reached a decision for a game plan. We are going to talk BM about it first and if that gets us no where talk to his lawyer about what the next step would be. DH isn't just going to stand by and let her switch his school.
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cdrainey3
by Cher on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:18 PM
Consistency with school is a pretty big one. However, they aren't going to tell BM she can't move. That's just silly. So unless your dh can prove better future stability, you're not going to get much from it. What exactly would you want to have happen? Have them tell BM she can't move?
DDDaysh
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Is she custodial?  If she is, she might have to change his school, it's not really optional most places.  

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Who has custody?

jncstepmomof3
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:56 PM
No have them tell her she can't change his school. The kids have always used our address bc she moves around so much. Custody is split 50/50 and education decisions are joint.

Quoting cdrainey3: Consistency with school is a pretty big one. However, they aren't going to tell BM she can't move. That's just silly. So unless your dh can prove better future stability, you're not going to get much from it. What exactly would you want to have happen? Have them tell BM she can't move?
sara82lee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Is it actually written in the order that your address is used for school? If it is, all you would need to do is show the school that paperwork if she tries to enroll there.

If not, I'd get that put in the order.
pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 10:55 PM

My guess is if you took to court you would prevail, but court is expensive and has lots of unintended consequences.  What does your DH want to do?

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Is it different districts or different schools in the same district?  How far away will BM be once she moves?

jncstepmomof3
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:33 PM
He wants to tell her no it isn't happening bc it's ridiculous to change his school and make him have to start over when she may not even be living in the same area. Go to court over it I doubt, mediation probably, but for her to just give in and say ok would be ideal lol

Quoting pdxmum:

My guess is if you took to court you would prevail, but court is expensive and has lots of unintended consequences.  What does your DH want to do?

jncstepmomof3
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:34 PM
Same county, district, whatever. We live in a small town but there are several elementary schools zoned for different areas of the town. She only lives 5-10min from us.

Quoting Polkadotted:

Is it different districts or different schools in the same district?  How far away will BM be once she moves?

bcauseimthemom
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:38 PM

I would be worried about the instability for the child with all of the moving around.  I would bring it up to my husband and voice the concern. Why is she moving so often? Is she not paying rent and then getting out right before the eviction process is started? It sounds like she is scamming somebody. It really sounds shady. Does she work?  Something is very off with this......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN