Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Snow days/make up days....and visitation/vacation

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 6:57 PM
  • 22 Replies

As I sit here on yet ANOTHER snow day with most schools called off for tomorrow as well, I'm pondering how make up days in the summer affect people whose kids have summer visitation or for families who already have vacations planned?

In the last 5 years, my skids have never had to make up snow days but this year has been nuts.  Originally, they were just going to add on some minutes to the end of each school day but I guess that got voted down so now they're tacking on days to the end of the year. 

We were looking at moving our SB vacay to the first two weeks right after school got out so they wouldn't miss any of their summer stuff with BM's mom.  But now they've got to make up quite a few days so that's off.

How many of you are having to modify summer visits or vacays due to this ridiculous winter weather we've had?

(note: I just helped dig 3 neighbors' and my own car out of snowbanks and shoveled from the bus stop to the school drive.  Came in, turned on the news, and found out that none of my neighbors have to work tomorrow (fed gov't closed again) and school is closed.  I on the other hand, have to get up early to go plow the farm lane before the crew shows up.  I am sore.  And I am hating winter right now.  LOL)

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thom3Mom
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:18 PM

We changed our vacation due to this as well. It's frustrating cause I had to change vacation days at work too...

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:23 PM

We're in the same boat.  I'm not sure when we will be able to get out East now.

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Polka, are your kids going to be doing full days or half days?  Our district is talking about 10 half days.  WTH???

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:40 PM

They won't do 10 half days... too much bussing.   I'm not sure what they are planning. 

Quoting Birdseed:

Polka, are your kids going to be doing full days or half days?  Our district is talking about 10 half days.  WTH???

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:50 PM
We have to make up 3 days but 2 were already scheduled 'snow days' and 1 will be added to the end of the school year, I assume. We had one year that we were out an entire week. And they received a waiver from the state. So no days were made up.

This year, the snow day does effect dad because he already made travel plans for Easter weekend which was supposed to be a long weekend. Well now it is not. Dd is just missing that day of school so that they can carry on with their already scheduled plans.

We had a snow day today - not because of snow but because of temperature. Us texans apparently cannot handle temps in the teens. Lol it was bright and shinny outside but 19 degrees most of the day. I am assuming because of the need to heat the schools - they decided we would just stay home. Not sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:13 PM

I fear that the kids here in Virginia will be going to school til July at this rate.  It seems we've had a major snow event nearly every week since the first of the year and it's always a two day event.  Apparently they have a mechanism to issue a waiver on school days though. Not something I'm aware of for us in Michigan (where the kids are.)

I think DH has pretty much given up on being able to see the kids before August.  Sucks.  But not sure how to let the kids do what they want this summer AND work in an early trip. 

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:17 PM

We're in the NW, so we haven't had it too bad. We have 2 days to make up. They added two half days to the end of the school year.

We're in the process of trying to get a new parenting plan filed due to BM's moving back and forth between our town and a town 4 hours away; if that gets signed it shouldn't have any effect on the summer visitation. Heck, at this point even if it doesn't get signed before summer the extra two days shouldn't have any effect.

Tillymommie
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:24 PM

After 8 days, I think we only have to make up 1 day for every two missed. We are up to like 16 days missed so far. We made up a few with the minor holidays that the kids usually get off, like presidents' day and MLK day. I think they will lose like one day of spring break then go to the end of May.

Lorena
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Nothing changes for us. Bm only takes them eowe so they don't loose any bm time.
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:38 PM

I have a friend in TX and she and I were joking that we must have switched weather. We hit 60 degrees today! Our usual is around 45 and rain this time of year.

Quoting momof2ex1: We have to make up 3 days but 2 were already scheduled 'snow days' and 1 will be added to the end of the school year, I assume. We had one year that we were out an entire week. And they received a waiver from the state. So no days were made up. This year, the snow day does effect dad because he already made travel plans for Easter weekend which was supposed to be a long weekend. Well now it is not. Dd is just missing that day of school so that they can carry on with their already scheduled plans. We had a snow day today - not because of snow but because of temperature. Us texans apparently cannot handle temps in the teens. Lol it was bright and shinny outside but 19 degrees most of the day. I am assuming because of the need to heat the schools - they decided we would just stay home. Not sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN