Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

vitamins and home remedies

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM
  • 15 Replies
I went to a herbal store today to pick up some supplies to hopefully combat SS's frequent ear infections. It made me think of vitamins, holistic approaches, and home remedies.

When BPs have joint legal custody they are supposed to agree on medical practices, right? What if one parent wants to try natural methods, but the other insists on medical intervention? Do you think something like giving the kids vitamins or trying home remedies should be agreed upon by both BPs?
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I do think it should be agreed upon because "natural" does not equal efficacious nor without side effects.  Makes me crazy when people do all this homeopathic stuff without any understanding of what it really is.   If it were so effective, don't you think they'd make it a drug and make money?  Just being natural doesn't mean SAFE.

I would lose my shit if BM started going all "natural remedy" on the kids. 

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:13 PM
This was actually BM's idea.

I think I'm much more open to alternatives, but in this case she's more desperate for a cure. SS gets ear infections like crazy and is constantly on antibiotics. His last pediatrician was finally starting to consider tubes, but before they could make a plan for it - BM switched pediatricians. This new one wants to wait and establish a pattern (she's brand new) before she recommends tubes. But we alk know that after six years of antibiotics, they just don't work for him anymore.

So, we're trying ear candles and garlic oil.

Quoting Birdseed:

I do think it should be agreed upon because "natural" does not equal efficacious nor without side effects.  Makes me crazy when people do all this homeopathic stuff without any understanding of what it really is.   If it were so effective, don't you think they'd make it a drug and make money?  Just being natural doesn't mean SAFE.

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:19 PM

oh for FFS.

Really?  Let the kid suffer a little more? 

Sorry, but that just seems mean to me. 

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

DS and MDD both had severe chronic ear infections. They both ended up with tubes as well as having their tonsils and adenoid out.

DS had surgery at 21 months and MDD had surgery right before she was 3. DS is 11 now and has had two ear infections since having tubes.

The over use of antibiotics like that is really bad for him and for the bateria. I'd push for the tubes.

Quoting progressandjoy: This was actually BM's idea. I think I'm much more open to alternatives, but in this case she's more desperate for a cure. SS gets ear infections like crazy and is constantly on antibiotics. His last pediatrician was finally starting to consider tubes, but before they could make a plan for it - BM switched pediatricians. This new one wants to wait and establish a pattern (she's brand new) before she recommends tubes. But we alk know that after six years of antibiotics, they just don't work for him anymore. ... So, we're trying ear candles and garlic oil.
Quoting Birdseed:

stephs5isenough
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM

I think there is a place for both and using the two together or depending on the case is good.

As for both parents agreeing when they are not together~I do think that would be best.  In any case, the other parent NEEDS to know what is going on at any given point.

Click my tag to follow me to:

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:33 PM
I guess I don't get what you mean ...

BM and DH are pushing for tubes (DH suffered from the same problem as a toddler), but the new pedi keeps trying to stall. BM only switched pedis, because the old one is out of network.

None of us want SS to suffer. It sucks. Antibiotics doesn't even make a dent anymore. Our biggest goal is to keep an infection from starting, but we can't keep SS pumped up on benadrly and congestion medicine.

He just fought off his last bout a few weeks ago, and has already mentioned that his ear is starting to feel clogged. Apparently, BM has been trying this new thing she heard about and it seems to be working (SS stopped mentioning that his ears felt off).

If she feels it's working, DH is open to trying it here.

Quoting Birdseed:

oh for FFS.

Really?  Let the kid suffer a little more? 

Sorry, but that just seems mean to me. 

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM
They're pushing, but the new pedi keeps trying to 'wait and see' (personally, I would look into getting a new pedi).

DH had chronic ear infections as a child and had to get tubes. He's been recommending tubes for the past three years.

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

DS and MDD both had severe chronic ear infections. They both ended up with tubes as well as having their tonsils and adenoid out.

DS had surgery at 21 months and MDD had surgery right before she was 3. DS is 11 now and has had two ear infections since having tubes.

The over use of antibiotics like that is really bad for him and for the bateria. I'd push for the tubes.

Quoting progressandjoy: This was actually BM's idea.

I think I'm much more open to alternatives, but in this case she's more desperate for a cure. SS gets ear infections like crazy and is constantly on antibiotics. His last pediatrician was finally starting to consider tubes, but before they could make a plan for it - BM switched pediatricians. This new one wants to wait and establish a pattern (she's brand new) before she recommends tubes. But we alk know that after six years of antibiotics, they just don't work for him anymore.

So, we're trying ear candles and garlic oil.

Quoting Birdseed:

pdxmum
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:40 PM

There is a place for both.  But with any treatment plan, both parents do need to be on board.  Homeopathy requires consistency the same way antibiotics do.  Makes no sense to do one in one household and one in the other.

They don't have to work against each other.  Both paths can be taken.

Personally, I'm ready to try anything for my migraines.  Modern medicine only dulls them or knocks me out.  Naturopathy had me taking 16 horse pills a day - no sustainable for me.  I'm thinking a little Botox and some acupuncture with a side of medical marijuana.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM

It's definitely genetic. I had tubes (as well as having my tonsils and adenoid out) before I was 2 due to chronic ear infections, as did my sister, several cousins, etc.

They need to ask for a referral to an ENT and bring copies of his medical records for the last 6 years.

Both DS and MDD had other issues on top of chronic ear infections (incredibly large tonsils even when they weren't sick, and then they ended up HUGE when they were sick), but over all it was WELL before 6 when they saw an ENT to get evaluated.

Quoting progressandjoy: They're pushing, but the new pedi keeps trying to 'wait and see' (personally, I would look into getting a new pedi). DH had chronic ear infections as a child and had to get tubes. He's been recommending tubes for the past three years.
Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Quoting progressandjoy: This was actually BM's idea. I think I'm much more open to alternatives, but in this case she's more desperate for a cure. SS gets ear infections like crazy and is constantly on antibiotics. His last pediatrician was finally starting to consider tubes, but before they could make a plan for it - BM switched pediatricians. This new one wants to wait and establish a pattern (she's brand new) before she recommends tubes. But we alk know that after six years of antibiotics, they just don't work for him anymore. ... So, we're trying ear candles and garlic oil.
Quoting Birdseed:

FreedomTruth
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM
My son got an ear infection and blew his ear drum, instead of going to the doctor he treated him with vitamin c. My son told me. My attorney sent an email to his attorney and don't you know within a few hours my son was at the doctor. I am all for natural remedies and have used them, but they are in conjunction with his doctors remedies. I highly recommend the tubes, it lowered the ear infections to once a year instead of once a month. He no longer has tubes and when he gets an infection usually he blows his ear drum and then needs surgery to repair the hole since his for some reason does not heal like normal. Now the natural is more for prevention then treatment.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)