Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

If it's not the dog.....

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:45 PM
  • 19 Replies
The dog post and The last post of "I didn't really have interaction with the dog...." Got me thinking. What if it wasn't a dog but the SKs? What if you weren't really interested in having kids or had raised yours, met a great guy and fell in love. You found out a bit into the relationship he had kids but hadn't met them. Once you did, you found out you weren't a "kid person" or you thought you'd just get used to them but you can't.

What then? You certainly can't make them stay in the garage or out in the back yard....
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aeELE
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Well, I think they would have to take the same approach I've taken with "step-dog." 

Mind you, I can't imagine taking that approach with SS, but every person is different. You just have to figure out what works for your family. 

iSMILEheCRIES
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Wait, I can't lock my kids in the garage or backyard? Damn I need to rethink this whole parenting thing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:56 PM

No of course not - not the garage or the yard - that would be cruel.  But your guy has the option of seeing his kids other places but his home.  Or if he is a real spineless POS he just stops seeing his children all together.  LMAO

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I think a dog is very different from a person, people can easily send a dog outside or re-home somewhere else, not exactly the same with the stepchildren. That said a relationship involves two people so if the dog owner or the stepkids' parent isn't on the same page or no compromise is reached that satisfies both parties then the relationship will end.

Career Woman, Wife and Mother of Two Children, a Girl and a Boy.

AmyB118
by NA Rocks on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
No no no....you can. They are yours. You just can't do that to STEP kids....maybe their BF can tho if you object to them being in your house, trashing your white carpet and spilling juice on your couch.

Quoting iSMILEheCRIES: Wait, I can't lock my kids in the garage or backyard? Damn I need to rethink this whole parenting thing
Rocker.Mom.07
by The Savior on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:05 PM

I think this is too hard to answer having two of my own from a previous marriage and always wanting kids someday when I was younger... I would guess if the woman didn't want to give up the relationship than the dad needs to sever it for his kids. I told my ex that he needs to stay away from women who don't want/like kids...it will end up badly either between them...or her and I if she treats them badly.

AmyB118
by NA Rocks on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Not to everyone. I can't imagine getting rid of any of my animals...dog, cat, chinchilla...any more than I could my child so for ME it's the same. If DH and I split and I met a guy and he said "oh AmyB you are amazing but the dog....welllllll.....I'm not feeling it" I'd say "Sorry new hot guy, but love me love my dog. If you aren't feeling it you may not be the dude for me".

So why I would it be any different if he didn't like DD and I said "well DD I met this guy and he's not liking you so you need to go live with your grandma now"

Quoting leegirl_jm:

I think a dog is very different from a person, people can easily send a dog outside or re-home somewhere else, not exactly the same with the stepchildren. That said a relationship involves two people so if the dog owner or the stepkids' parent isn't on the same page or no compromise is reached that satisfies both parties then the relationship will end.

Boobear110
by Audra on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Wait a damn minute, I thought the whole point to step children was to lock them in closets, make slaves out of them, feed them bread and water only, beat them repeatedly just because you can. What the hell? I quit. I'm not being an SM anymore. There is no fun it in. 

Quoting AmyB118: No no no....you can. They are yours. You just can't do that to STEP kids....maybe their BF can tho if you object to them being in your house, trashing your white carpet and spilling juice on your couch.
Quoting iSMILEheCRIES: Wait, I can't lock my kids in the garage or backyard? Damn I need to rethink this whole parenting thing

HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM
Actually, the one summer SM watched the kids a few days a week she did keep them out back. They weren't allowed in the house and the temperatures were over 90 each day. The ex thought it was fine that she was encouraging 'outdoor time'. They also had to watch her son who was 5(?). Where was she? Inside on the computer in the air conditioning.
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Well, I love my GSDs but I got rid of one because my DS5 happens to not be fond of dogs in general, which is strange since we all love dogs, DS5 was especially terrified of that particular dog. I just think animals are a little different and I couldn't risk a misunderstanding between my 110lb GSD and my 40lb 4 year old son at the time.

With humans, relationships can be worked on.

Quoting AmyB118: Not to everyone. I can't imagine getting rid of any of my animals...dog, cat, chinchilla...any more than I could my child so for ME it's the same. If DH and I split and I met a guy and he said "oh AmyB you are amazing but the dog....welllllll.....I'm not feeling it" I'd say "Sorry new hot guy, but love me love my dog. If you aren't feeling it you may not be the dude for me". So why I would it be any different if he didn't like DD and I said "well DD I met this guy and he's not liking you so you need to go live with your grandma now"
Quoting leegirl_jm:

Career Woman, Wife and Mother of Two Children, a Girl and a Boy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)