Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

It's getting closer and he's getting a little excited!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:49 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
SS has seemed on the fence about DD.

He wanted to go to the ultrasound, but was disappointed to find out she was a girl. He felt her kick once, and wasn't interested in feeling her move again. He gave his opinion on a color for her room, but hasn't wanted to help with any of the decorating.

While I wished he'd be more excited, I was okay with it. I didn't want to push anything on him, and I left his involvement entirely up to him.

DH and I did sign him up for a sibling class though, to hopefully give him some tools for coping with having a baby in the house.

It went wonderfully! SS asked lots of questions, and was very attentive to what the teacher was saying. He practiced how to hold the baby and how to diaper a baby. I even caught him practising at home a few times. I was honestly amazed at some of the questions he asked.

When we were leaving, DH asked him how he was feeling about becoming a big brother. SS usually tells everyone he's excited (it's like he knows that's what everyone wants to hear), but he'll tell us the cold hard truth. He told DH that he was feeling a little excited!

I know he'll have a range of emotions when DD gets here, and it won't always be sunshine and butterflies - but I'm happy that he was so attentive and curious during this class.

I think he'll be a great big brother!
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
cdrainey3
by Cher on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:02 PM
I think he will love it. I don't understand children that are mad about a sibling. My ss has always been so excited with my pregnancies and then my older son was ecstatic when his baby brother was born. We had to call him brother for almost 6 months. It was cute. My ss was five when we had our first together and he just took on the big brother roll like it was natural. Now he's 10 and our younger is 2. He loves our 2 year old. When he gets here that's the first person he goes to hug. It's cute. I think your ss is just kind of in the un known. He probably doesn't fully understand what's going on. I wouldn't worry too much, just be excited and he will too.
Closet_Case
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM
I'm worried too, SD is looking forward to her baby sibling coming but BM is being mean about it so SD ends up unsure of how she should feel. She wants a girl (I already have twin boys) and I'm just hoping she won't be disappointed when we reveal it's a boy.
LeKendria
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM

That's awesome! Things will work out.

stepdiva
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:46 PM
I'll bet he likes her a lot! Lol.

Quoting progressandjoy: SS has seemed on the fence about DD.

He wanted to go to the ultrasound, but was disappointed to find out she was a girl. He felt her kick once, and wasn't interested in feeling her move again. He gave his opinion on a color for her room, but hasn't wanted to help with any of the decorating.

While I wished he'd be more excited, I was okay with it. I didn't want to push anything on him, and I left his involvement entirely up to him.

DH and I did sign him up for a sibling class though, to hopefully give him some tools for coping with having a baby in the house.

It went wonderfully! SS asked lots of questions, and was very attentive to what the teacher was saying. He practiced how to hold the baby and how to diaper a baby. I even caught him practising at home a few times. I was honestly amazed at some of the questions he asked.

When we were leaving, DH asked him how he was feeling about becoming a big brother. SS usually tells everyone he's excited (it's like he knows that's what everyone wants to hear), but he'll tell us the cold hard truth. He told DH that he was feeling a little excited!

I know he'll have a range of emotions when DD gets here, and it won't always be sunshine and butterflies - but I'm happy that he was so attentive and curious during this class.

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:10 AM
I can definitely see him being a stoic, over protective, 'that punk better not date my little sister' kind of brother.

Quoting stepdiva: I'll bet he likes her a lot! Lol.

Quoting progressandjoy: SS has seemed on the fence about DD.

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd was mad. She had been the only child for 7 years and had seen what her friends lives were like with a baby. She didn't like babies. They cry and are loud. And they stink. They get in to your things and you have to SHARE.

She got over it in 2.3 seconds the moment she held him.

But it's not always been bright and shiny. They have sibling rivalry. She doesn't always LOVE her annoying little brother. And she can't stand when his breath stinks and he gets in her face. And sometimes she misses him so much that she wants to do everything with him.

It's not odd for older children to be hesitant to a new baby. It's actually quite common.

Quoting cdrainey3: I think he will love it. I don't understand children that are mad about a sibling. My ss has always been so excited with my pregnancies and then my older son was ecstatic when his baby brother was born. We had to call him brother for almost 6 months. It was cute. My ss was five when we had our first together and he just took on the big brother roll like it was natural. Now he's 10 and our younger is 2. He loves our 2 year old. When he gets here that's the first person he goes to hug. It's cute. I think your ss is just kind of in the un known. He probably doesn't fully understand what's going on. I wouldn't worry too much, just be excited and he will too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cdrainey3
by Cher on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM
That's funny. It's definitely common, I've heard of it a lot. It's weird to me though, just because my kids were so excited each time we had a baby. There's more fighting moments now of course because we have 3 boys. It all works out, they fight and argue no matter what that's for sure. Lol

Quoting momof2ex1: My dd was mad. She had been the only child for 7 years and had seen what her friends lives were like with a baby. She didn't like babies. They cry and are loud. And they stink. They get in to your things and you have to SHARE.

She got over it in 2.3 seconds the moment she held him.

But it's not always been bright and shiny. They have sibling rivalry. She doesn't always LOVE her annoying little brother. And she can't stand when his breath stinks and he gets in her face. And sometimes she misses him so much that she wants to do everything with him.

It's not odd for older children to be hesitant to a new baby. It's actually quite common.

Quoting cdrainey3: I think he will love it. I don't understand children that are mad about a sibling. My ss has always been so excited with my pregnancies and then my older son was ecstatic when his baby brother was born. We had to call him brother for almost 6 months. It was cute. My ss was five when we had our first together and he just took on the big brother roll like it was natural. Now he's 10 and our younger is 2. He loves our 2 year old. When he gets here that's the first person he goes to hug. It's cute. I think your ss is just kind of in the un known. He probably doesn't fully understand what's going on. I wouldn't worry too much, just be excited and he will too.
AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 4:31 PM

It took SD a bit longer over here.  She was excited since we were having a girl and she had a younger brother at mom's.  But ... it was hard for her to go from being the ONLY child, grandchild, neice...etc. over here to having to "share."  Especially since she was 8 and everyone was oohing and aahing over the tiny new baby.  But, yeah, she got over it, eventually. 

She loved her sis from the get go but all kids react differently to having a new baby around.  Then again... it's an adjustment for everyone. :)  I'm glad that your SS seems to be getting more excited. I'm sure he'll be a great big bro! 

Quoting momof2ex1: My dd was mad. She had been the only child for 7 years and had seen what her friends lives were like with a baby. She didn't like babies. They cry and are loud. And they stink. They get in to your things and you have to SHARE. She got over it in 2.3 seconds the moment she held him. But it's not always been bright and shiny. They have sibling rivalry. She doesn't always LOVE her annoying little brother. And she can't stand when his breath stinks and he gets in her face. And sometimes she misses him so much that she wants to do everything with him. It's not odd for older children to be hesitant to a new baby. It's actually quite common.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)