Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Non denom church folk

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:21 AM
  • 99 Replies
1 mom liked this
Bio mom takes boys to a different church than us. The boys like the toys and friends there. Boys haven't chosen to try the kids church yet at ours but prefer bio moms church because of reason above. Both churches are non denom, we just prefer a different one. Suggestions?
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zannahdeux
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:30 AM
3 moms liked this
Religion is one sure fire way to piss someone off. I think this is something the bio parents need to discuss and agree upon before you take them to a new church. Even just for them to "try" it. I would also stay out of this discussion and let dh handle it. This is not your hill to climb.
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:32 AM
2 moms liked this
Keep taking them to church. They can make friends in both places.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skydivercone
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:33 AM
They never went to church when they were married. When they split they both decided to go to church. The kids just now started talking about not liking our church. Bio dad actually as asking suggestions haha
raegan1221
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I think they can make friends at both churches. As long as it's the same denomination (non in your case) that's fine imo.
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Why haven't they tried the kids church at yours?

jules2boys
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
How old are the boys and how recent is this for them?
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:58 AM
He's tasked with being the spiritual leader of his family. Is he intending to hand that role over to the kids?

Most non-denom churches have men's prayer breakfasts once per week in addition to Sunday morning Bible classes before or after the worship hour. I'd suggest he consult with individuals there (pastor, elders) for advice.

Quoting skydivercone: They never went to church when they were married. When they split they both decided to go to church. The kids just now started talking about not liking our church. Bio dad actually as asking suggestions haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristinbugg
by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:57 AM
If they don't want to attend your church, they shouldn't be forced to. Would you like it if someone dismissed your religious preferences and forced you to attend a church you didn't want to?
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:59 AM
4 moms liked this

Both parents should be able to share their faith if there is joint and they have had no formal decision made about which faith to raise the kids in.

Quoting kristinbugg: If they don't want to attend your church, they shouldn't be forced to. Would you like it if someone dismissed your religious preferences and forced you to attend a church you didn't want to?

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM

How old are the kids?

When I was a kid, I went to lots of different churches with friends because if you spent the night on Saturday, by goodness, you had to be up and ready for church on Sunday.  My family isn't religious and I always enjoyed going even though as a pretty young kid, I thought a lot of what I was told by Sunday school teachers was bogus.

(like:  the reason dinosaur bones are found in mountain rock is because of the Great Flood--dead things float--totally bogus, but anyway)

I would just take them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN