Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Interesting...discuss

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM
  • 7 Replies
http://news.msn.com/us/honor-student-who-sued-parents-returns-home

Ok, I'm mobile...so I don't think I can make it clicky.

Think the other family got sick of footing the bill for a spoiled brat? Maybe she got kicked out now that the lawsuit wasn't going to make anyone but attorneys rich?
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I think reality slapped her around a little.  In national news, no less. 

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:20 PM
I saw that this morning.

I think reality hit her.

But honestly - I don't know why she keeps getting blamed. Her parents raised her to be a spoiled brat and they raised her to be smart. She figured out that she could sue them and possibly win support. Someone put that in her head. She didn't wake up one day and decide to be spoiled. She was raised this way. They are enablers.

My aunt sued my grandmother over something similar. Who sues their parents? Well... Spoiled kids. My aunt was very much an adult (60 years old) who was cut off from the cookie jar and got mad. Well my grandma made her this way. She spoiled her and gave her pretty much everything she ever wanted and when she decided to stop - my aunt sued. And oh by the way. My aunt won a settlement. It was less than $15k but she still won.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I don't think she was that smart, her friend's family put that in her head.

Friend's dad- attorney- not going to win important case, which would make him name in history of law lol, so no use for spoiled brat. 

Quoting momof2ex1: I saw that this morning. I think reality hit her. But honestly - I don't know why she keeps getting blamed. Her parents raised her to be a spoiled brat and they raised her to be smart. She figured out that she could sue them and possibly win support. Someone put that in her head. She didn't wake up one day and decide to be spoiled. She was raised this way. They are enablers. My aunt sued my grandmother over something similar. Who sues their parents? Well... Spoiled kids. My aunt was very much an adult (60 years old) who was cut off from the cookie jar and got mad. Well my grandma made her this way. She spoiled her and gave her pretty much everything she ever wanted and when she decided to stop - my aunt sued. And oh by the way. My aunt won a settlement. It was less than $15k but she still won.

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Her friend's father may have put that in her head but what kind of a child sues their parents? 

Quoting annabl1970:

Friend's dad- attorney- not going to win important case, which would make him name in history of law lol, so no use for spoiled brat. 

Quoting momof2ex1: I saw that this morning. I think reality hit her. But honestly - I don't know why she keeps getting blamed. Her parents raised her to be a spoiled brat and they raised her to be smart. She figured out that she could sue them and possibly win support. Someone put that in her head. She didn't wake up one day and decide to be spoiled. She was raised this way. They are enablers. My aunt sued my grandmother over something similar. Who sues their parents? Well... Spoiled kids. My aunt was very much an adult (60 years old) who was cut off from the cookie jar and got mad. Well my grandma made her this way. She spoiled her and gave her pretty much everything she ever wanted and when she decided to stop - my aunt sued. And oh by the way. My aunt won a settlement. It was less than $15k but she still won.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Selfish child:(

Quoting AmericanDream:

Her friend's father may have put that in her head but what kind of a child sues their parents? 

Quoting annabl1970:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cdrainey3
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:45 PM
Crazy. Very true. I've been reading "smart money, smart kids" by Dave Ramsey's daughter, having a brain fart and can't remember her name. Anyways, such a great book if anyone's interested! She really helps you with not raising kids like this.

Quoting momof2ex1: I saw that this morning.

I think reality hit her.

But honestly - I don't know why she keeps getting blamed. Her parents raised her to be a spoiled brat and they raised her to be smart. She figured out that she could sue them and possibly win support. Someone put that in her head. She didn't wake up one day and decide to be spoiled. She was raised this way. They are enablers.

My aunt sued my grandmother over something similar. Who sues their parents? Well... Spoiled kids. My aunt was very much an adult (60 years old) who was cut off from the cookie jar and got mad. Well my grandma made her this way. She spoiled her and gave her pretty much everything she ever wanted and when she decided to stop - my aunt sued. And oh by the way. My aunt won a settlement. It was less than $15k but she still won.
jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Selfish perhaps, but also consider that she's just barely 18 and quite ignorant.  Here was an adult (BFFs father) who was leading her to believe this was 'how things work' (or at least how they can work).  I think annabl is right... the BFFs father should be punished for leading this girl to believe she should SUE her parents for trying to enforce rules in their home or thinking that she could sue them for a privilege (college, all expenses paid).  It's not a 'right' to go to college, that is earned, and often it's earned by your own hard work, not someone elses.  She's 18 and easily impressionable.  Most are.  Most have no idea what the 'real world' is like or how to live in it peacefully until they gain some life experience.  This was a HUGE lesson, and a very public one too. 

I can't imagine living in that home now but I hope they're ALL getting counseling! 

Quoting AmericanDream:

Quoting annabl1970:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)