Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Sounds silly right????

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:28 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

This comic sounds silly to me just as it does when the words are changed and people condone disrespect from children.  You don't have to be mom/dad or even be looked at as such but we should foster respect for adults.  If the problem is that of the step parent then the PARENT should handle it and not the child.  *end rant*

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rocker.Mom.07
by The Savior on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

lol Yeah...we've had quite the time having to teach my SD to respect all adults/people when her mom is telling her different.

QX56momma
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:38 PM

We deal with it too and DH is the CP......I just kill everyone with kindness and remember that they are children being influenced by an adult.  What people fail to realize now is that the kids will grow up and see things for what it is....don't get mad when the target boomarangs back to the source. 

Quoting Rocker.Mom.07:

lol Yeah...we've had quite the time having to teach my SD to respect all adults/people when her mom is telling her different.

Rocker.Mom.07
by The Savior on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Killing with kindness gets tough with lack of sleep and 3 tornadoes running around after you just cleaned the day before lol But yeah, I do my best with SD's attitude and I am lucky my DH is a good dad and has my back.

Quoting QX56momma:

We deal with it too and DH is the CP......I just kill everyone with kindness and remember that they are children being influenced by an adult.  What people fail to realize now is that the kids will grow up and see things for what it is....don't get mad when the target boomarangs back to the source. 

Quoting Rocker.Mom.07:

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:01 PM
2 moms liked this

It's a funny cartoon.

But if a child says "I hate you" to their stepparent, my first thought is, what is the stepparent doing to make the child hate them. Instead of focusing on "disrespect", the stepparent should focus on why the relationship has gone awry.

QX56momma
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I see your point, that is why I said the parents should handle it.  But my opinion is a child is not in charge and has no business showing disrespect...to me it's never ok.  If that stepparent is in the wrong then the fact that the child is around them should be re-evaluated by the parent.  Although I know there are some SP's that don;t like their SK's (my SM was one to me), the problem that the child usually has with them is centered around the break of the nuclear family.

Quoting whatIknownow:

It's a funny cartoon.

But if a child says "I hate you" to their stepparent, my first thought is, what is the stepparent doing to make the child hate them. Instead of focusing on "disrespect", the stepparent should focus on why the relationship has gone awry.

DDDaysh
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:20 PM
I try to encourage my son to treat ask people with decency, but I don't believe age necessarily requires more or less respect as I believe respect in the form of esteem is earned. Respect in the form of obedience is also situational.

For instance, my child's teacher has authority over him to a certain extent in the classroom. He should obey any directions she is authorized to give. However, she does not have authority over him outside of school. If we saw her in the store and she told my son to do somethin she does not have authority and his obedience would then be based on how much esteem she had earned in his eyes and therefore how much he trusted her direction. Similarly, even within school his obedience is limited to instructions she is authorized to give. I once had a teacher instruct my son to lie to me. She was not authorized to give that instruction so my son is not obligated to obey it.
QX56momma
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Age does not equate respect but the things that we teach them at this stage builds their character as adults.  Now let me say, our differences are derived from our childhood and this is my belief because this is how I was raised and has carried over into my adult life also because I'm in the military. 

Quoting DDDaysh: I try to encourage my son to treat ask people with decency, but I don't believe age necessarily requires more or less respect as I believe respect in the form of esteem is earned. Respect in the form of obedience is also situational. For instance, my child's teacher has authority over him to a certain extent in the classroom. He should obey any directions she is authorized to give. However, she does not have authority over him outside of school. If we saw her in the store and she told my son to do somethin she does not have authority and his obedience would then be based on how much esteem she had earned in his eyes and therefore how much he trusted her direction. Similarly, even within school his obedience is limited to instructions she is authorized to give. I once had a teacher instruct my son to lie to me. She was not authorized to give that instruction so my son is not obligated to obey it.

raerae725
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM

SD said stuff along these lines when she was smaller.  My kids said they hated me at that same age.  I didn't take it personally or as disrespect then.  They were learning how to voice their frustration with seemingly unfair things.  I hope I don't hear this as any of them get older, but I am only barely entering the teens so who knows.  I did text SD this picture when I first saw it.  She called me laddy for a week after.

malinda74
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM
Lol....or that sometimes everyone says something in anger that they don't really believe! In the midst of teen angst I'm sure I told my own mother "I hate you" one. ( okay twice )

Quoting whatIknownow:

It's a funny cartoon.

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I think the words "I hate you" coming from a child to a parent really just mean "I am frustrated that I can't get what I want." 

For some reason, stepparents tend to add in all kinds of other meanings. They forget how this phrase is supposed to be translated. I don't know why.

Quoting malinda74: Lol....or that sometimes everyone says something in anger that they don't really believe! In the midst of teen angst I'm sure I told my own mother "I hate you" one. ( okay twice )
Quoting whatIknownow:

It's a funny cartoon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)