Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

What if we cannot afford to pay for SS's flight?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:17 PM
  • 25 Replies

DH has primary custody and visits BM three times a year for a few weeks at a time. BM still ows us money for 2 flights as well as CS (she has never paid anything).

I was wondering what would happen if we will not be able to pay for SS's flight. DH is supposed to book the flight and BM has to pay 50%, but most of the time she doesn't. Can DH tell BM to book the next flight since she ows him money for 2 flights already. BM always comes up with excuses why she cannot pay. Or she says she'll send x amount, but the check never comes.

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shanlee42
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:21 PM
You need to ask a lawyer.
shanlee42
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:23 PM
Uh, hit submit too quickly. If he doesn't follow the CO he can be held in contempt. Same with mom. It's tricky and legal. I would definitely encourage him to contact a lawyer.
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I would do this first. If the co say he must pay then she could hold him in contempt.

Quoting shanlee42: You need to ask a lawyer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CSM07
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:26 PM

The CO says that dad books the flight and BM has to reemburse him 50% of the cost. It does not say anything about what should be done if BM does not do her part.

zannahdeux
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I always say it can't hurt to just ask her...

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

It sounds like you need to pay for the flight and file contempt against mom and possibly to change the CO. Unfortunately mom not living up to her end doesn't stop dad from living up to his end. If he is CO to buy it then he has to until a judge says otherwise.

annabl1970
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:52 PM
This

Quoting soonergirl980:

It sounds like you need to pay for the flight and file contempt against mom and possibly to change the CO. Unfortunately mom not living up to her end doesn't stop dad from living up to his end. If he is CO to buy it then he has to until a judge says otherwise.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:55 PM
4 moms liked this

He should file in court for BM to reimburse him for the past costs of the flights. Then he should request that BM be the one to purchase the tickets and DH reimburse her for his 50%.

MamiJaAyla
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:56 PM
very elegantly put tinker
Sept-babies2
by Patriot's Fan on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Wouldn't that mean she isn't following the court order and possibly be in trouble for that? If she isn't following it and he ends up not following the court order why would he be in trouble and not her? I guess I don't really know how it works because I don't have any court orders and neither does dh.

Quoting CSM07:

The CO says that dad books the flight and BM has to reemburse him 50% of the cost. It does not say anything about what should be done if BM does not do her part.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN