Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

What if we cannot afford to pay for SS's flight?

Posted by   + Show Post

DH has primary custody and visits BM three times a year for a few weeks at a time. BM still ows us money for 2 flights as well as CS (she has never paid anything).

I was wondering what would happen if we will not be able to pay for SS's flight. DH is supposed to book the flight and BM has to pay 50%, but most of the time she doesn't. Can DH tell BM to book the next flight since she ows him money for 2 flights already. BM always comes up with excuses why she cannot pay. Or she says she'll send x amount, but the check never comes.

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:17 PM
Replies (21-25):
bcauseimthemom
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Contact the courts and let them know she isn't paying for half the flights nor is she paying CS.... 

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM
He can file contempt if she's not following the co. Your DH needs to talk to a lawyer about him booking the flight. A lot of them offer free consultations and can at least give him advice on what the best course of action should be.

Quoting CSM07:

The CO says that dad books the flight and BM has to reemburse him 50% of the cost. It does not say anything about what should be done if BM does not do her part.

Rhodin
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 5:37 PM
Book during midweek, for a flight that's on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday well in advance of the time DH needs to go. The difference between Thursday and Friday for a flight can seriously be hundreds of dollars and it's a fortune if you don't book at least a month ahead of time.

This won't help you get money out of BM, but it might help you afford the flight.
cdrainey3
by Cher on Mar. 15, 2014 at 5:55 PM

I would say, send the money and I will book the flight. If the money never gets there then the flight never gets booked. Keep the emails and texts so you have the proof that you tried.

amyjo76
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I would file contempt on the mother for non payment of the previous flight tickets and non payment of support. Then I would look into changing the court order to mom paying for the flight to her home & father paying for flight to his home. Is she only responsible for 1/2 of the flight out there or both ways? I know with unpaid medical bills here in MI, they will tack on what the NCP doesn't pay to child support with proof of non payment. It doesn't matter if she has paid or hasn't and if you can't afford it, your husband is responsible for paying and ensuring his child gets to his mother. He will be in contempt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)