Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Insurance issue for SD....

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:45 PM
  • 58 Replies

I have skid on my insurance and BM sends me an email stating that the dentist and doctor's office want my SSN and other information as the insured party. I told her that they have my subscriber ID cards and can verify coverage that way. No way in hell is my personal info going on paperwork for BM to get ahold of.  Typically, the only person who provides the SSN is the one who is financially responsible correct?  I don't want her to try to rack up bills in my name or trying to pull my credit or who knows what. Am I being unreasonable protecting my information or is this the norm when someone else provides insurance? No other doctors have asked for my SSN when BM set up appointments.This is my first time dealing with this issue so I have no clue what to do. Any suggestions or advice would be helpful.

Oh, I carry the kids on my insurance because it is tons better than my husband's and covers a lot more..just in case some were wondering. It's not a control issue, rather a common sense issue to provide the best coverage possible.

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:51 PM
Frequently, they will ask for the subscribers SSN as a way of identifying the account or researching it. It access it on the system. The card should do the same thing. I would just offer to call the office for BM if the doctor is having any issues.

I get asked for this information for my DH all the time - he is the insured party. It's not at all unusual.
owl0210
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 7:53 PM
I would not give out your SSN to her. Call the office directly.
cdrainey3
by Cher on Mar. 20, 2014 at 8:08 PM
Ss is on my insurance as well. The only thing she has ever needed from me is the insurance card and my dob. I would never give her my ss#.
jules2boys
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 8:29 PM

The dentist the boys use requests the SSN of the carrier.  BF carries the boys on his insurance.  SM and BF decided to add the boys to her dental insurance as hers covered things that BFs didn't, and vice versa.  The dentist will try each and then use one or both to cover the majority of the costs.  BF chose this dentist (as the one I knew and had chosen ended up being dishonest but since I never saw the claim forms (they are mailed to BF/SMs home) I wasn't aware of it, they were).  When he added SMs insurance to the boys coverage, he did so over the phone.  When I took them in the next time they asked for SMs SS#.  However, they also knew our family situation.  The gal asked if I 'happened' to know SMs SS#.  I laughed and said no, nor did I want to know it.  I didn't ever want to put myself in a position to have to defend myself if something happened using her SS#. 

So, I asked the gal to call BF.  I don't have SMs number (never wanted/needed it)  to get it.  He didn't have it but he called SM for it, then HE called the office and gave them her number.  I wasn't even there (he sent me a text telling me he'd taken care of it).  Fortunately the dental office knows us and the sitution so this wasn't 'unusual' for them and they trusted that i'd pay whatever was still owed if insurance didn't cover it (I'm the one local to them, BF and SM are not). 

So, yes, some offices do ask for it (like Hopes suggested, to verify the insured, especially if that insured is NOT a patient of theirs too), and some do not. (no other office has asked 'me' for SMs SS#.  Maybe they have asked/called BF for it?  I don't know, he's not said and I've never asked. 

But, I'd never call BF or SM and ask for her SS#, nor would I ever expect SM to give it to me, no matter WHO was asking me for it.  I'd simply give them BFs phone number and let HIM handle it. 

ldee78
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 9:16 PM
You do not legally have to give your SSN. They do not use it for any billing purposes. The only insurances that use this are Medicare and Tricare.
AA2.0
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 9:25 PM

I have never had to provide my stepmother's SSN for my dr to accept her insurance. That sounds very sketchy to me. I only had to know her full date of birth. Month, day, and year. That, with the insurance card, was always enough information to validate the coverage.

minimoo
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Ugh. We have this issue in a way too. DH covers all of us on his insurance. For the dental, they just need his SSN to send to the insurance. We gave it to them, set it all up, that's it (his SSN does not go on any paperwork or anything, so even if he asked for her records or even asked for the insurance info, he would not have access to it- we double checked because there is a history of identity theft in his family and whatnot). He kept asking for dh's social "just in case I take her to the dentist". I told him no. He has no need to take her anyways because she receives her regular visits, and any other time, he is court ordered to inform me ahead of time anyways. I told him that if there is an emergency and he needs to take her, let me know and I can verify that they accept our insurance and call in the info.

packermom4ever
by Still The Queen on Mar. 20, 2014 at 9:46 PM

I'd send you the bill anyway. You don't need a SSN for that at all. I'd do it if I didn't appreicate you having the insurance instead of my ex. 

I would figure if you were happy handling that part of his obligation you must be happy handling other financial ones, especially if you were unwilling to call the doctor and see if they need that information. 

My husband has to give his SSN for his insurance. The kid's bill also come to this house, we have no problem dealing with that end of things.

packermom4ever
by Still The Queen on Mar. 20, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Quoting ldee78: You do not legally have to give your SSN. They do not use it for any billing purposes. The only insurances that use this are Medicare and Tricare.

And the one through my husband's job. A pretty decent sized company that uses SSNs as the member numbers. 

And my ex's vision insurance. 

There are probably others, but I know there are more than the two you named.

ready4change14
by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM

I'm not financially responsible for her kid. The court order requires BF to provide ins; however, his plan is only a 60/40 plan with a large deductible, while mine is 85/15 and 100 on all labs/in office procedures. There is no point in paying two family rates (i have a child insured too) for mediocre coverage. BM has a packet with all cards and the booklets of coverage. She is not sending me a bill bc she keeps choosing to choose out of network providers. That's on her. She also will not provide my husband with doctor info ahead of time in order to verify the stuff she says. I am not even getting in the middle of that and calling the doc's office (i can see all claims online) SD has  been on my insurance for quite some time and  no physician has needed my ssn  but now it's an issue?

Quoting packermom4ever:

I'd send you the bill anyway. You don't need a SSN for that at all. I'd do it if I didn't appreicate you having the insurance instead of my ex. 

I would figure if you were happy handling that part of his obligation you must be happy handling other financial ones, especially if you were unwilling to call the doctor and see if they need that information. 

My husband has to give his SSN for his insurance. The kid's bill also come to this house, we have no problem dealing with that end of things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)