Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

How old were you when you?

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:24 PM
  • 111 Replies
How old were you when you became a step mum? And did you find it difficult?

I was 16 when I became a stepmum and I found it difficult to start with because my eldest step daughter was 8 and she seemed to resent me and made everyones lives difficult for a while. The other two were 1 and 5 so they didn't understand as much as thier sister and took to me straight away.
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rocker.Mom.07
by The Savior on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM

28 when I married my DH. It's almost been a year since we've been married.

jules2boys
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Where do you live that you could marry at 16?!?!?  Geez!  You found it difficult because you were still a child yourself.  This is a no-brainer.  How old was your DH who had a child who was 8 years old already?  I'm thinking you were closer to your SDs age than her fathers age, and maybe THAT was part of the problem... maybe she saw you as a peer rather than an 'adult'. 

jlg12678
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:50 PM
14 moms liked this

I was 11. My stepkids were 4 and 5.  We all played together and got along well.

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:54 PM
Did your mom sign for you to get married? I was young too but you have me beat lol. I was 19, my ss's were 4 and 10mos. I didn't find it too difficult. At the time DH was NCP so when he had his kids I had fun w/them. We watched cartoons, played games, and stuff like that.
crazyhouse123
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:54 PM
Quoting jules2boys:

Where do you live that you could marry at 16?!?!?  Geez!  You found it dificult because you were still a child yourself.  This is a no-brainer.  How old was your DH who had a child who was 8 years old already?  I'm thinking you were closer to your SDs age than her fathers age, and maybe THAT was part of the problem... maybe she saw you as a peer rather than an 'adult'. 

I wasn't married at 16 but was living with my fiance and his children as though we were married.
Also I was a very mature 16 year old.
When me and him got together my fiance was 25 and I was 14 and then when I was 16 I moved in with him and his children.
I understand that many people will find it difficult to understand how someone of 25 could start a relationship with a 14 year old bit would everyone refrain from posting negatively please
Leigh84
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm sensing this is either sarcasm or a typo lol

Quoting jlg12678:

crazyhouse123
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM
Quoting jlg12678:

Very helpful!
pepper504
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting jlg12678:

You're trying to kill me aren't you? 

jules2boys
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Sweetie, 'very mature' or not, that was statutory rape... at least in the US...

What you may consider 'negativity' others may consider 'helpful advice'.  It's a matter of perception.  How old are you now, out of curiosity? 

Quoting crazyhouse123:
Quoting jules2boys:

Where do you live that you could marry at 16?!?!?  Geez!  You found it difficult because you were still a child yourself.  This is a no-brainer.  How old was your DH who had a child who was 8 years old already?  I'm thinking you were closer to your SDs age than her fathers age, and maybe THAT was part of the problem... maybe she saw you as a peer rather than an 'adult'. 

I wasn't married at 16 but was living with my fiance and his children as though we were married. Also I was a very mature 16 year old. When me and him got together my fiance was 25 and I was 14 and then when I was 16 I moved in with him and his children. I understand that many people will find it difficult to understand how someone of 25 could start a relationship with a 14 year old bit would everyone refrain from posting negatively please
AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2014 at 3:59 PM
7 moms liked this
*backs slowly out of post*
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN