Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have experience filing a police report.... UPDATE in OP 4/2

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:26 PM
  • 56 Replies

UPDATE 4/2 4:30PM:

In summary, the calls and texts began at 8:30AM Sunday and even after I informed the woman that I had filed a police report and specifically said "Do not contact me or my staff again." I continued to get texts.  In addition, the employee moved his things into one of the vacant homes on our property and was blitzed by 9AM on Monday morning. I had a few conversations with him that led me to believe that he probably had a lot more to do with creating this situation--like gave my contact info to his wife, flat out told her that he had spent the night at my house, etc.

Monday evening, he was given 12 hours to vacate the property, put on administrative leave, and advised in writing not to contact any staff members, especially me while we sort this out.  Of course, he continued calling and texting even after receiving the document.

Yesterday morning, my case number came through for the PD and I contacted a detective to A) inquire as to how to append documentation since the situation escalated after my initial report B) inquire about best practices to keep my staff safe.  Through that conversation, I learned many things.  While the wife still as a long history of domestic disputes of similar origin going back years before current husband and is clearly off her rocker, the employee also has some seriously concerning behaviors on record.

What had me confused was that we do an FBI background check and fingerprinting for new employees due to the licensing we need for another piece of the business so how on earth could we not know this stuff? Well...he was hired by the owner while the HR director was on vacay and none of that was done.  Nice.  So because of some lies of omission and other things that we learned yesteday regarding requirements for the job, the employee is being let go.

The police detective advised that we have an officer come out, take another report, then contact the woman and ban her from the property.  Apparently, you don't have to go the PPO/RO angle for something like this.  They can just speak to the woman and tell her that if she shows up, she'll be arrested.  Because additional things happened after my initial report, they advised that we file reports per incident and not treat this as one incident--given that I specifically advised her to stop contacting me, that's an option.

At our weekly staff meeting, all staff were given the make/model of the vehicles, reminded about our security protocols, and told to call 911 should this person show up.  None of us really know what she looks like so police are bringing a mug shot to distribute. 

I really don't think that I'm terribly at risk, especially as things settle down.  I think the wife will feel like she "won" since the employee was fired--although it's not because of anything she said.  It's because he was not honest about some key things. We would've put him on leave and given him some time to get it together if he had not lied.

Anyway...that's the update. 

I recently started a new job where I manage a business--one step below the owner.  I am never alone with any employee unless it's the owner or HR director and we're in a meeting  (both of whom are women) or when conducting an interview.

I began receiving calls from a blocked number at about 8am.  Several times in a short span.  I did not answer.  Then I got a call from one of my male employees who informed me that his wife is convinced that we (he and I) are having an affair and to expect some calls.  Apparently, she is a little off.  But she had told him she was going to "call her (my) husband and let him know what you've (we have) been up to" and yada yada.  According to the employee, she read an email I sent to him (and all of our other staff) yesterday with the staff schedule and somehow, that's me coming on to her husband??

She called again and I answered but she hung up.  (can't prove it was her as it was a blocked number) About an hour later, I got a text message from her (not blocked) that was just plain crazy town.  Stating that she was going to cite me as the cause of their divorce (they've been married since December, known each other less than a year, and VA is one of few states that still allows for at fault divorce)  Stating that she knows this employee and I were together last night and today. I haven't seen this guy since Wednesday at our staff meeting?!?  I worked yesterday alongside two other staff, he did not.  I chatted with my DH last night while lying in bed.  I am sitting here at home in a bathrobe today.  Haven't left the house!  Problem is that I live alone so I can't really "prove" that I'm alone.

She has apparently had similar responses to the female mail carrier, the owner of my company, and now me. Personally, I think she's having some kind of psychotic break. She's not in touch with reality.  I want to make sure that the rest of my staff does not have to go through this. I want to keep everyone safe.  She did not make any physical threats but her accusations are so out there that frankly, I don't think she's stable enough to truly throw out the possibility that she could show up and do something nuts.

I told the business owner that I am considering filing a police report for phone harassment just so that it's documented. 

Has anyone gone through anything like this? I'm totally gobsmacked.  First of all, I've done nothing even borderline inappropriate with this staff member nor has he given me any reason to suspect interest.  Next, if I WERE going to have an affair, it wouldn't be with a man 20 years my senior who lacked teeth.  I mean, this guy is not even a LITTLE BIT on my radar.

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Polkadotted
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Can you do it if she calling from a blocked number? Do you have to prove it is her?

(I haven't had experience)

Taylor5kids
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Oh Geez! I was so proud of you for getting back out there, but dang!
Taylor5kids :)
cdrainey3
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Yikes, that sounds crazy! I would just call your police department and talk to a police officer. They can tell you what exactly you should do. I would definitely be careful, and not put it past her to do physical harm. She does sound like she's gone crazy.
Birdseed
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sure they could have her phone records supoenaed and it would show that the OB calls were to my number.  She didn't block her number in the text message though so it's quite clear who she is. (although I actually don't know her name.)

I've never done anything like this before either but I think that due to it being business related, it is in our best interest to have it documented now so that in the event she escalates, there is a trail of behavior noted.

Quoting Polkadotted:

Can you do it if she calling from a blocked number? Do you have to prove it is her?

Polkadotted
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:37 PM

If it is just one text is that enough to even get it started?  There has to be enough proof to even get the subpoena, right?

Quoting Birdseed:

I'm sure they could have her phone records supoenaed and it would show that the OB calls were to my number.  She didn't block her number in the text message though so it's quite clear who she is. (although I actually don't know her name.)

I've never done anything like this before either but I think that due to it being business related, it is in our best interest to have it documented now so that in the event she escalates, there is a trail of behavior noted.

Quoting Polkadotted:

Birdseed
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Here is the text, names redacted:

"Now that *employee* has admitted to being with you last night and today, I have no choice but to name you in our divorce.  Also, I feel the need to let your husband know what you have been doing.  I hope you enjoy his drunkeness because he is all yours.  No I'm not a jealous house wife or a lonely housewife like you.  I'm just not going to deal with a cheating husband anymore.  You can feel sorry for him all you want.  You have not had to deal with the things I have from him.  Don't care what he told you because I already know all his lies.  I have your time sheet he was holding in his back pack.  You two have fun.  Don't bother texting me back, I don't want to hear about it anymore."

FWIW, the "time sheet" she's talking about is, I assume, the staff schedule I emailed out yesterday.  And I'm not even on the damned thing.  I'm not scheduled staff. This is for our hourly employees. 

WTH?

Birdseed
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM

No idea. Owner of company told me to look into it. I've been researching online but not really finding much other than that it's a "thing".  I've had to get a PPO before in MI and that was not easy.  But I think that anyone can file a complaint here, they just may or may not pursue it.  Frankly, I'm less interested in pursuing it than just having it on record so that if she shows up at our office and carries on or turns on another staff member, we have a trail.

This is NOT how I thought I'd spend my Sunday.  That's for sure!

Quoting Polkadotted:

If it is just one text is that enough to even get it started?  There has to be enough proof to even get the subpoena, right?

Quoting Birdseed:

Quoting Polkadotted:

chasinrainbows
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM
You live alone but you're married??
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Her husband is overseas on a job assignment

Quoting chasinrainbows: You live alone but you're married??
LaughCryLive
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM
I filed a report on dd's kindergarten teacher last year. She was harassing me at work and on my cell. After I made the report she stated calling from random numbers and they said that They needed proof it was her. I had some voicemails. Thankfully she have up after she was fired.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)