Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWYD

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:18 PM
  • 29 Replies

if a child tells you that they have been having suicidal thoughts. The child's CP is difficult to talk to while the NCP seems ok but doesn't seem to be in a position to do anything?

If the NCP is told? What would you advise him to do?

Career Woman, Wife and Mother of Two Children, a Girl and a Boy.

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
howkhuntastic
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Get the child help immediately. Even if it meant a welfare check at cp house. I attempted suicide as a child and was ignored when i attempted to seek help before hand. It was a serious attempt that resulted in permanent brain damage so i take any ideation seriously.
LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:29 PM
The NCP needs to act immediately, even if that means bringing the child to the ER. Immediate, professional help.
AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I think that if any child tell you that they are having suicidal thoughts that the adult has an obligation to try to help. 

As far as your question of the advice towards the NCP?  Tell the CP.  Write an email reach out to them and tell them what's going on.  If CP blows that off (and I find it really hard to believe that a parent would with something so serious..) then, call and have a welfare check done, call the school guidance counselor, talk to a lawyer and see what they advise for steps to take to get the child help. 

Normally, I'm all for not making waves over small stuff but this isn't small stuff.  It's serious.

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Oh, yes, and this.  I was thinking that the child was currently with CP but if the kid is with the NCP then take them in! 

Quoting LyndaLoo78: The NCP needs to act immediately, even if that means bringing the child to the ER. Immediate, professional help.

zannahdeux
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

The child needs immediate help. Tell everyone who needs to know and keep telling people until someone gets the child help. Most schools will get involved and continue to follow through if you need outside help. They will also follow through if the cp doesn't do anything. This should not be taken lightly.

Polkadotted
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:16 PM

this

Quoting LyndaLoo78: The NCP needs to act immediately, even if that means bringing the child to the ER. Immediate, professional help.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:42 PM
I would say:
Take a child to psychologist ASAP
You can Deal with CP afterwards
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Take to the nearest emergency room. If it a credible risk, they will be held to keep them safe.  Then decisions are made regarding next steps.

Adolescent depression is very different from adult depression.  Don't assume that because he seems fine in other areas he is.

How did CP find out.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Sic ideal thoughts lead to suicidal ideation that leads to suicide.  

Are there guns available to this child?

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:54 PM
This

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)