Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

So, who feeds the kid(s) dinner?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:40 PM
  • 60 Replies

Exchange time is 6pm, this is approximately dinner time in both homes.

Which parent should be feeding the child dinner?

Should the parent dropping the child off feed the child before?

Should the parent receiving the child feed the child after?

Does it change your opinion that both parents have to travel out of town and meet about halfway? (An hour and a half out of town for the CP and about 2-3 hours out of town for the NCP).

Or, does it really matter and if the child is hungry whomever the child is with should ensure the child is fed?

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ElenaC08
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
When the kid is hungry he should get fed, i mean......
tiafez
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:44 PM

every other meet up? make one Dad's meal, the next time Mom's? this is a toughie. 

edited to add: how about make lunch the big meal and dinner a light meal when the kiddos hungry?

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:44 PM
4 moms liked this

I would feed them before they went, I would feed them if I picked them up and they were hungry.  Since I can't trust the exchange partner to do that, I do what the kids need.  Then I let it go because it isn't worth the fight.

Mamaslilbear10
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:46 PM

so you have to leave by when to make it in time?

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Exchange time is 6pm, this is approximately dinner time in both homes.Which parent should be feeding the child dinner?Should the parent dropping the child off feed the child before?Should the parent receiving the child feed the child after?

Does it change your opinion that both parents have to travel out of town and meet about halfway? (An hour and a half out of town for the CP and about 2-3 hours out of town for the NCP).

Or, does it really matter and if the child is hungry whomever the child is with should ensure the child is fed?

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:50 PM

It's been an on again/off again battle with BM.

She's either mad that DH fed SD and BM (or most often BM's mom) had planned to take her somewhere to eat, or she's mad that DH didn't feed SD.

90% of the time DH packs food for SD (a sandwich, a yogurt, crackers and cheese, fruit, raw veggies and dip, etc). If SD is hungry in the car, she eats. If she's not hungry, she doesn't it. It's less expensive for us and we can be sure that SD is eating healthy foods (as opposed to fast food).

It's just interesting that something so simple could turn into a fight. I've always figured that whomever SD was with when she was hungry would feed her.

The last few visits BM has been the one dropping SD off (as opposed to BM's mom) and SD gets into the car with DH and says she's starving and that DH has to feed her because BM doesn't have any money.

Quoting Polkadotted:

I would feed them before they went, I would feed them if I picked them up and they were hungry.  Since I can't trust the exchange partner to do that, I do what the kids need.  Then I let it go because it isn't worth the fight.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:53 PM

DH leaves about 4:15-4:30 on Fridays. SD gets a snack after school (at 3), then the exchange time is 6pm. DH packs food for SD (it's expensive to stop and buy food, plus SD can eat healthier that way) to eat in the car if she's hungry. DH packs food for her every time whether he's picking SD up or droping her off.

BM (or most often BM's mom) leaves her town around 3. 

BM just can't make up her mind, so I was wondering what other people do.

Quoting Mamaslilbear10:

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Exchange time is 6pm, this is approximately dinner time in both homes.Which parent should be feeding the child dinner?Should the parent dropping the child off feed the child before?Should the parent receiving the child feed the child after?

fedupmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 7:58 PM
I think it's simple and you are making it a bigger issue than it needs to be. If when she is dropped off and she is hungry feed her, if she is hungry before you drop her off feed her. My son can eat a large meal and be hungry an hour later. It really shouldn't be about " who's turn it is" it should be about whether it not she is Hungry.
fedupmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:00 PM
And, if BM mom is upset you fed the kid when she was hungry or didn't because she wasn't hungry then that is her issue.
Mamaslilbear10
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

is there anyway you could call or text bm nd see if she or her mom has anything planned for dinner? i'd keep packing a lunch/dinner of food for just in case... but me i'd probably feed them before we left,but if they eat early they may get hungry and then bm would have to feed again anyway..

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

DH leaves about 4:15-4:30 on Fridays. SD gets a snack after school (at 3), then the exchange time is 6pm. DH packs food for SD (it's expensive to stop and buy food, plus SD can eat healthier that way) to eat in the car if she's hungry. DH packs food for her every time whether he's picking SD up or droping her off.

BM (or most often BM's mom) leaves her town around 3. 

BM just can't make up her mind, so I was wondering what other people do.

Quoting Mamaslilbear10:

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 8:03 PM
Thats how we handle it. Food is prepared for SD so that its available to her if/when she is hungry.

It never really occured to when that we should or shouldn't feed her based on whether or not DH was dropping her off or picking her up.

Quoting fedupmama: I think it's simple and you are making it a bigger issue than it needs to be. If when she is dropped off and she is hungry feed her, if she is hungry before you drop her off feed her. My son can eat a large meal and be hungry an hour later. It really shouldn't be about " who's turn it is" it should be about whether it not she is Hungry.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)