Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

what do you say to your son if

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:19 PM
  • 23 Replies
You find out that he made a disrespectful comment to another kid and got punched for it? (Middle school ages)
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FreedomTruth
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Unintended consequences. This is what can happen when you make disrespectful comments. Depending on the severity of the comment (racial, etc.) he may also be grounded. If not that severe then the punch he got is adequate and hand him a bag of frozen peas.

Closet_Case
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 3:38 PM
"Maybe don't be a jerk next time"
whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 4:01 PM

what did he say to the kid?

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

If it were my (imaginary) child, I think I would sit him down and say that first, it's not okay to act out physically just because someone makes you angry.  But not all people are taught that and when you say mean/derogatory/inappropriate things to others, it's a risk you take that they may act out. Depending on what he said to the kid I'd also discuss WHY it's inappropriate and try to find out more about how the situation came to be.  See if there aren't some other topics that need to be covered.

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 4:50 PM

depends what he said and why.

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 4:55 PM

this.

Quoting Birdseed:

If it were my (imaginary) child, I think I would sit him down and say that first, it's not okay to act out physically just because someone makes you angry.  But not all people are taught that and when you say mean/derogatory/inappropriate things to others, it's a risk you take that they may act out. Depending on what he said to the kid I'd also discuss WHY it's inappropriate and try to find out more about how the situation came to be.  See if there aren't some other topics that need to be covered.

***Briterican***

pepper504
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Sit down and discuss what he said as well as the actions/consequences that followed said disrespectful comment.

packermom4ever
by Still The Queen on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:51 PM
2 moms liked this

You had it coming, son.

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 6:09 PM
I'm with WIKN. What did the kids say that got him punched. What was said would actually slightly change what I said to my kid.
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:19 PM

depends on what he said.  I believe in natural consequences.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)