Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

How do you feel about DH taking the SKs on a trip alone?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:41 AM
  • 42 Replies

DH mentioned going to NY this weekend to visit family/friends and spend 1 day in the city to see a show.  My kids are with their Dad this weekend, so it would just be me, DH and my 2 SKs (12 and 14yo).  I wasn't too excited about the trip because its a long drive, may be a lot of traffic, and traveling into the city is also long on the train and I'm not that into seeing a show.

Anyway, I asked DH if he would still go if I stayed home and he said yes, but he would like me to come along.  I told him that I would be more content with a weekend to myself and this would give DH some good qt with his kids.  DH agreed to go!  Now I'll be home all weekend by myself and I'm really excited.

Question for you is:  do you think that this is OK to do in our situation?  Do you ever do this or does your DH ever do this type of trip?

Married, CSM to SD14 & SS12, CBM to DS12 & DD9

by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OvrMyHead
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I'm planning on biking a lot while I'm by myself, can't wait!

WickedPissah
by Cup Cakes on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:47 AM
What's your sitch?
3sillykids
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I don't understand what the situation you are asking about is? Is the question is it ok for him to take his children on a trip?

pseudomamma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I would go becase it's a great oppertunity to spend time with them in different atmosphere.  Live vaca mode even if it is just a quick weekend trip.  Sounds like fun to me.  Don't get me wrong, I live my weekend time.  DH works 24hr shifts, 1 on 2 off.  Every 6th week I get a Saturday to myself.  I look so forward to it.  As well, I would hate to miss a great trip with them to the city.  Heck, DH made a quick W/E trip there with some freinds, and I was jealous.  I wanted to go and see my SD and SIL too.

rsmom2511
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Totally OK...I think it's nice for dh to get some alone time with his kids and a great break for you :)
pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Can I go with your DH?  Or at least send my DDs?  They really want to see Neil Patrick Harris in Hedwig.

i am having more of an issue with the idea that you don't want to see a show than you want a weekend alone!

i encourage DH to take trips with just his boys.  They have a great time together.  He has the bio filter that I don't so everyone is happier.  Because you know what they say about keeping mama happy...

jules2boys
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be ok for a father to take his children away on a weekend, just he and the kids, unless there is some long standing reason he shouldn't be unsupervised with his own children.  And, yeah, I'd kill for an entire weekend alone!  (with money to do something too!  Though, heck, a weekend filled with movies I can't/won't watch with my kids around and some good old comfort/junk food doesn't sound half bad either! LOL) 

Send DH and Skids off for their adventure, maybe even pack some snack stuff (kids favorites, maybe even a DH favorite too, a treat perhaps they don't get at home much?) and wave and smile as they go... then go grab your bike, turn your phone OFF (but take it with you in case you need it yourself) and go ENJOY some alone time, or girlfriend time, or spring time or whatever! 

I can't remember your situation specifically to know why it wouldn't be ok in your particular situation. 

BF has never been 'alone' with any of his children so I can't imagine him doing something like this.

When I first read the title, I misread it (seems to be the way I'm reading things this WEEK  ugh!) and thought you were asking if it was ok for a SP to take his/her SKids for a weekend/trip alone.  LOL 

jlg12678
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes it is ok to stay home while your dh/skids go on a short trip. I've done that plenty of times.

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't think of a situation where Dad can't take his kids on a trip by himself.

DH just took the kids camping last week.  It was a nice break.

packermom4ever
by Still The Queen on Apr. 17, 2014 at 12:31 PM

My husband tries sending me away from time to time. I don't go usually. 

However, I'm the one always going, he's the one who is on a set schedule of work at night, sleep during the day, get up, putter around, eat dinner, go to work. I get up, go to work, clean and cook and run the kids everywhere and handle school and such - which isn't a problem, it's just that if he needs a break HE can go away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN