Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

How do you raise girls that aren't needy?

Posted by   + Show Post

So what's the way to go?  Is it a problem because we solve their problems and artificically inflate their self esteem?  Is it just parents that aren't involved?  an attachment thing?

OSD is naturally a people pleaser.  I worry about her sometimes, but I don't think she's needy.  at least not to that level.

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Replies (41-41):
cdrainey3
by Cher on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:11 PM
I was raised with two parents who loved each other and a father who let me talk his ear off. I had an amazing relationship with my dad. He was and still is my safe place. He told me every single day how beautiful I was. I grew up just knowing I was pretty. My dad said so and my dads word was all that mattered. My mom is an amazingly strong woman. I watched her bust her ass for us. If something would happen in our lives we were told by both parents that, 'thats life' I was a very confident person growing up. I had my issues and did date some assholes, but I never put up with it and it would only last a month or so. I think I was just having fun and experimenting. I valued the words 'I love you' and have only ever said it to my husband. I have only boys so my job is teaching them to be gentlemen and respecting women no matter what. I worry every day that I raise them right. I find myself telling my 5 year old all the time 'that's life' get over it and move on.

Surrounding your girls with a father, step father or uncles that love them and set a good example for them is important. Being strong yourself as a mother is huge. If you let men come in and out of your life and disrespect you, of course your daughters will follow. Being a good example is 90% key, IMO
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)