Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Would you home school?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:00 PM
  • 26 Replies
Please only respond if you have experience with home school......I would start next school year, She is going to 10th grade. Has been in trouble at home a lot this year. Drugs, cutting, boys, etc. Not sure if home school is the best answer. Please give advice If you have tried home school!! Did it work or was it a bust?
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I was homeschooled for a good portion of my school years. I would never ever in a million years even with a gun held to my head choose homeschooling for my kids.

jules2boys
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:03 PM

I do not have experience home schooling for the reasons you do but ODS16 has done it before, for a semester in HS.   Is this a DD or a SD you're considering home schooling? 

FreedomTruth
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:06 PM

My Cousin does homeschool and loves it. They are involved in a homeschool network so they do a lot of field trips, etc., with other kids so socialization happens. All three of her children are very intelligent and flourishing.

On the other hand, there were two kids in my son's class last year. They were both homeschooled and when they went to public school were placed in my son's class because they were 3 years behind. They also had extra study after school and during summer school so they skipped 2nd grade and went to third grade this year.

If you are considering it, I would suggest talking with people in your neighborhood who are homeschooling to see what would be the best fit for you and dd or sd.

It can be done well, but it is a lot of work, and not something to consider lightly.

Kimmy307
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:50 PM
Both DD and I are considering it. I know a lot of people who home school their teens for the same reasons I am considering it. The teens are doing much Better in school and life choices. I am a teacher in the public school system. A friend offered to keep her with her home school class to actually do the home schooling. I am not taking it lightly. It is a tough decision. She is failing in public school in a couple of classes but that isn't the only reasons behind my consideration. She is making bad decisions and I am thinking that home schooling will keep her focused on school instead of trying to fit in. But on the flip side, my fear is that she will rebel more due to lack of socializing all day at school. I was thinking of giving her a year in home school and then giving her a chance to go back to public her junior year. Just not sure how that works.
Kimmy307
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:51 PM
Can you elaborate on why?

Quoting soonergirl980:

I was homeschooled for a good portion of my school years. I would never ever in a million years even with a gun held to my head choose homeschooling for my kids.

Kimmy307
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:52 PM
How did home schooling affect him when ex went back to public school?

Quoting jules2boys:

I do not have experience home schooling for the reasons you do but ODS16 has done it before, for a semester in HS.   Is this a DD or a SD you're considering home schooling? 

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course I don't have home school experience and I know that you stated only comment if you do - but I'm a rebel and belong to this group so here's my advice. Take it or leave it.

I would research a CM group specifically for homeschool. I know there are some. And those would be some great ladies to get you the advice you are looking for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Why not try a private school instead?

Quoting Kimmy307: Both DD and I are considering it. I know a lot of people who home school their teens for the same reasons I am considering it. The teens are doing much Better in school and life choices. I am a teacher in the public school system. A friend offered to keep her with her home school class to actually do the home schooling. I am not taking it lightly. It is a tough decision. She is failing in public school in a couple of classes but that isn't the only reasons behind my consideration. She is making bad decisions and I am thinking that home schooling will keep her focused on school instead of trying to fit in. But on the flip side, my fear is that she will rebel more due to lack of socializing all day at school. I was thinking of giving her a year in home school and then giving her a chance to go back to public her junior year. Just not sure how that works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 11:29 PM
I homeschooled DS for 2 years through our state's virtual school.

DH and I have discussed the possibility of homeschooling SD.

The problems with homeschooling older kids, especially those with behavioral issues is that you've already lost control of them. How do you expect homeschooling to actually work?
afwife817
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:10 AM
No way. To many parents try that approach and when the novelty wears off, they send them back to public school for the teachers to fix them. If you're serious about this, I say do it for the rest of high school until graduation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)