Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

denying visitation

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:16 PM
  • 54 Replies
If ncp has a suspended drivers license and shows up to the exchange location driving (and they don't have someone with them to drive) would you/dh/so deny visitation? Why or why not?

If it matters, the suspension would be due to failure to pay cs. Just curious how everyone feels about this.
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pseudomamma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes! We've actually talked to our local PD about this very thing when BM lost her license for DWI. If she showed up driving while suspended, we could withhold, same as if we suspect she's under the influence.

Thankfully we never had to because she's never tried in the last 5 yrs it's been suspended.
melyndaann
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Where I live the license "suspension" only pertains to renewing the license.  So if they have a restriction but their license is not up for renewal, it doesn't matter...  They don't lose it, only lose the right to get a new one.

I know it's different in other states though.

To answer the actual question, I think denying visitation would be a must if the NCP didn't have a valid DL!

Proud Wildland Firefighter's WifeSocial Worker Mommy to Be - Nov 2014Proud Step MommyLiving with our Lab

miapia1020
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:36 PM
That's a good point! In my state, the day your license is suspended it is no longer valid. If you are caught driving on a suspended license here, the officer can take your license plate away (leaving you stranded on the side of the road) or arrest you.

Quoting melyndaann:

Where I live the license "suspension" only pertains to renewing the license.  So if they have a restriction but their license is not up for renewal, it doesn't matter...  They don't lose it, only lose the right to get a new one.

To answer the actual question, I think denying visitation would be a must if the NCP didn't have a valid DL!

melyndaann
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess I don't know what they do here if you're driving suspended.  It's probably a good thing I don't know! lol I'd be mad if they took my plates away; they're custom and I paid a lot for those. :P

I just know I wouldn't allow it so I don't blame you one bit!

Quoting miapia1020: That's a good point! In my state, the day your license is suspended it is no longer valid. If you are caught driving on a suspended license here, the officer can take your license plate away (leaving you stranded on the side of the road) or arrest you.
Quoting melyndaann:

Proud Wildland Firefighter's WifeSocial Worker Mommy to Be - Nov 2014Proud Step MommyLiving with our Lab

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

If you denied your child visitation with his father over that, you'd be using you child as a weapon. I think it's wrong.

If the license is suspended for drunk driving or careless driving, then possibly it would be ok. But suspended over CS? you'd be hurting your own child to deny him his right to see his father.

XXanonymousXX
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 6:01 PM
In my state if you're pulled over on a suspended license they impound the car and you'll probably be arrested. I would definitely recommend not letting children get into a car if the driver doesn't have a valid license. It would be hard on the kids if the parent were pulled over with them in the car. Not worth the risk.
luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 7:33 PM
So cp should just allow their child into a car with an unlicensed driver? Imo that would be parental negligence.

Quoting whatIknownow:

If you denied your child visitation with his father over that, you'd be using you child as a weapon. I think it's wrong.

If the license is suspended for drunk driving or careless driving, then possibly it would be ok. But suspended over CS? you'd be hurting your own child to deny him his right to see his father.

bothsidesofcoin
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 7:59 PM
If he were to get pulled over for something as minor as failing to use his turn signal, would the cops know who he is and call you to get the kids? Or would they end up in SOcial Services custody until you were tracked down?
MamaBear131716
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM
I agree with this. If he is active in the child's life he should continue to be. I don't really agree with suspending licenses or jail time as punishment for failure to pay anyway. Unless they never paid a dime and/or never saw their child.

Quoting whatIknownow:

kmur
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:35 PM
I would let my kids go with their dad, but then again I don't use my kids as a weapon. IF the parent got pulled over, the officer would let him call someone to come pick up the kids (worse case scenario),or the dad would have to call someone to drive them back to dads.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)