Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Potty training DSS

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 5:13 PM
  • 16 Replies
I am trying so hard to help him! He turned 4 in Feb and doesn't even seem interested. When he is with us (every other weekend) I really try and work with him, He still has accidents but we are trying, right? When BM has him he doesn't seem to even try. When she dropped him off Friday (in a SOAKING WET diaper) I talked to her about it, she snapped back if you don't want to change him let his dad do it. I want to work together with her but I don't know how. He is with me most of the time he is here, dad is on the road a lot. Any suggestions?
by on May. 4, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobear110
by Audra on May. 4, 2014 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Just work with him on your time., if you want . Leave any other discussion to your DH. 

CFSTBSM27
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this
You can only do what you can with the time you have. EOW is not much time, I would have DH calling BM to try and figure something out. Have y'all ruled out any medical issues for the "accidents". I'm not a mom but I don't know if 4 is common to still be in a diaper with no medical reasons. You can't make her work on things in her house so I would not bother trying to talk to her about it. Can DH not talk to BM? Are they high conflict?
packermom4ever
by Still The Queen on May. 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Stop babysitting and let mom handle it since dad isn't there.

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:28 PM

3 day potty training http://www.3daypottytraining.com/ This will give signs to show whether he's ready.

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

At his age, I guess I would ask why he is spending so much time with you?  If Dad isn't home, maybe SS should stay with Mom and she can deal with it?  4 seems kind of old to not be at least started on potty training.  Most kids start around age 2. Here is a link with some tips.  But consistency is key so if Mom isn't interested in doing it then I don't know how much progress you OR Dad can really make in one weekend.  http://www.med.umich.edu/yourchild/topics/toilet.htm

mrsd2013
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:03 PM
We had this problem too. Ss wasn't potty trained until is started pre school. He was 5! Bm put him in diapers. It was frustrating but it is important to remember that you're not mom. You would (or have) done differently with your children but unfortunately you might not Be able to make much of a difference EOW. We had ss two nights a week and EOW. but constancy is keys in training.
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Yikes. She sounds frustrated. Maybe she is having a difficult time with potty training and having someone point it out like you did added some fuel to her flame.

Both of my kids were a struggle to potty train and both were close to 4 when they finally mastered it. I am so glad I didn't have anyone pointing things out to me (except my own mother) because I probably would have exploded from frustration.

Since you only see him eowe I don't see how you can help much because anything you do over two days probably won't stick once he heads back to moms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Don't potty train him.

Let his mom do it.

notuseless
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Get a water bottle and show him that peeing standing up is fun... get some thing to try to sink in the toilet and aim for it... I used cereal.
Silent_Sea
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't potty train him if I had him EOWE unless the CP had asked me to. Two days is not enough time.

At age 4, if he's ready, then she should have him pretty well trained by the time you get him and you are just keeping the momentum going.

And, she should be doing the hard stuff not you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)