Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Hormonal and Awkward...??

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 7:55 AM
  • 14 Replies

SS10 is nearing 11.  He is starting to get BO, he still hates taking showers and changing his clothes.  He is gross (like most boys that age) and needs his parents to assist in getting him to perform any and all hygenic activities- showering, brushing his teeth, combing his hair, and yep, wearing deodorant.  This is all typical hormonal boy stuff that I figured would happen.  I have two younger brothers and already went through it with them.

But the next item is so gross and I'm a little confused as to if it is normal, or if SS actually needs to be sat down and talked to about.

Peeing all around the toilet and leaving poop smears on the toilet seat.

I am not kidding.  He leaves PUDDLES of piss on the floor, and I just so happened to have been the one to step in it the other morning.  I told DF and SS both someone peed all over the floor and missed the toilet completely and neither would cop to it (I wouldn't put it past DF if he was extremely tired, but this wasn't the case).  I asked DF if he had noticed anything and he said he had gone in after SS had blow up the bathroom and there was shit streaks on the toilet seat.  And it has happened several times and he was the lucky one to clean it up that time.

This has NOT been an issue in four years so I don't know why it is now.  

Any suggestions on how to approach the situation?

by on May. 8, 2014 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shanlee42
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:11 AM
2 moms liked this
Make him clean it up. The bathroom can be his chore. He will quickly be more careful.
baparrot2
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Approach the situation carefully and without shaming. But rather concern as to how something like that may get him teased at shool and other kids houses. "always look back kid to see if you have left any mess behind. If you dont and the next kid goes in there, he may make fun of you and tell all your friends"

THAT works.

baparrot2
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Also, make sure you equip him with the right things TO clean it up with. A roll of paper towels and some wet wipes behind the potty will help.

ManicAttack
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:16 AM

This is what I figured I was going to do- the boys are the ones missing the toilet, so they should clean it up.  We are in the process of deep cleaning the entire house and I told DF he is on bathroom floor duty already.  But yes, SS is definitely going to be cleaning up his own messes from now on.  

Quoting ManicAttack:

SS10 is nearing 11.  He is starting to get BO, he still hates taking showers and changing his clothes.  He is gross (like most boys that age) and needs his parents to assist in getting him to perform any and all hygenic activities- showering, brushing his teeth, combing his hair, and yep, wearing deodorant.  This is all typical hormonal boy stuff that I figured would happen.  I have two younger brothers and already went through it with them.

But the next item is so gross and I'm a little confused as to if it is normal, or if SS actually needs to be sat down and talked to about.

Peeing all around the toilet and leaving poop smears on the toilet seat.

I am not kidding.  He leaves PUDDLES of piss on the floor, and I just so happened to have been the one to step in it the other morning.  I told DF and SS both someone peed all over the floor and missed the toilet completely and neither would cop to it (I wouldn't put it past DF if he was extremely tired, but this wasn't the case).  I asked DF if he had noticed anything and he said he had gone in after SS had blow up the bathroom and there was shit streaks on the toilet seat.  And it has happened several times and he was the lucky one to clean it up that time.

This has NOT been an issue in four years so I don't know why it is now.  

Any suggestions on how to approach the situation?

ManicAttack
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:20 AM

I have Clorox wipes sitting on the back of the toilet at all times for these issues.

I didn't want to "shame" him which is why I didn't say anything to him yet.  But yes, we're definitely going to be discussing how awkward that is going to be if it happens at other people's homes. 

I just didn't know if it was laziness at our house or something, and if DF should have a talk with him.

Quoting baparrot2:

Also, make sure you equip him with the right things TO clean it up with. A roll of paper towels and some wet wipes behind the potty will help.

jules2boys
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
DF should talk to him and SS should clean the bathroom every time, every day if necessary until he makes a change. There isn't a medical reason for him to miss. It's either laziness or on purpose.

ODS did this on purpose for a time (he was about 7/8 but stopped when I made him clean it up every time). YDS did this or of laziness at a younger age (he'd get distracted lol) but he also had to clean and eventually I made him sit down again until he wasn't distracted. Maybe have SS sit down every time?
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I agree with the angle of "take a look and if there's a mess clean it up.  Get in the habit because while we're not going to make a huge deal out of it here, if you do this at a friend's house or at Grandma's or whatever, it's going to be an issue."  <----can be adapted to girls as well when it comes to disposing of pads/tampons.

I also agree that having a hand in cleaning duties for the bathroom helps as well. It's amazing how much tidier the restrooms in our home were kept once the girls had to start helping clean them. 

That said, especially at night, I know my brothers would often spray the seat (duh, pick it up!) or dribble on the floor.  They were barely awake and not paying attention.  It happens. 

ManicAttack
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Yeah I do think he'll be pitching in with the bathroom cleaning.  The first time it happened I thought he was just tired and completely missed the bowl because of it.  Now that it's happened on multiple occasions I'm just frustrated.

Quoting Birdseed:

I agree with the angle of "take a look and if there's a mess clean it up.  Get in the habit because while we're not going to make a huge deal out of it here, if you do this at a friend's house or at Grandma's or whatever, it's going to be an issue."  <----can be adapted to girls as well when it comes to disposing of pads/tampons.

I also agree that having a hand in cleaning duties for the bathroom helps as well. It's amazing how much tidier the restrooms in our home were kept once the girls had to start helping clean them. 

That said, especially at night, I know my brothers would often spray the seat (duh, pick it up!) or dribble on the floor.  They were barely awake and not paying attention.  It happens. 

DLinnMare
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Yup SS does the same thing and I made him clean thetotoilet and sweep and mop the floor. I told him its a gross job and someone has to do it so if you ddon't want to do it again please try to make the effort so its easy on me. And since then he wipes down the seat if he misses (he tells me) he just needed to be showed and though people might think it "shamed" him. Nope it did not and he appreciates me more when I clean the bathroom.. Now taking showers is another issue and we still struggle but we do tell him his bad hygien is a bad reflection on us as parents and he needs to take one before we go anywhere
Leigh84
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 1:18 PM
This!

I've had the same problem w/my ss11. Now cleaning the bathroom is his chore! The situation has improved.

Quoting shanlee42: Make him clean it up. The bathroom can be his chore. He will quickly be more careful.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)