Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Update:When does CS end?

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 2:15 PM
  • 117 Replies
Update:half vent: it's dh's "short week" with sons and OSS18 has been leaving(sometimes) after my dh goes to sleep(dh wakes up @0400 to go to work,so he goes to bed pretty early). Dh asked Bm what's up and that he is mad that son has been doing this. Bm said well the CO is ended he can stay wherever he wants now. (Which I guess is with her:(). Dh was still mad saying that's not right. She should have told him son has been doing this per her orders at least...or talked to him about how son was going to be staying at BMs more. (I knew this would happen and that's okay BUT it should have been discussed) Anyhow dh is bummed upset and sad. Since she thinks it's over and can do this I wouldn't give her a freaking dime more for next month(OSS CS not yss) #feelbadfordh :(

When does CS end? My dh pays Bm via a check every month. OSS is 18(dh has yss14 as well) and will graduate the month. (Dh has them 12 days a month) my dh will still pay insurance until skids are 26 I think here in Cali. That's not a "biggie".

We are in California. Papers say until sons are 18 or is not a full time student in high school.

I told dh I think that means this month(may is the last payment since it's OSS last month of school) If in doubt I told dh to just give the $ directly to OSS as a present.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 12, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Annawest
by on May. 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Where I live CS stops at 19 now, but you have to go and file an adjustment.  It won't automatically adjust or stop.

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:34 PM

In NJ, it typically lasts through college, if the kid goes to college. My SS19's mom still pays CS for him. My Ex still pays for my son who is turning 21 in July. He filed to end CS for our daughter when she graduated from college. My son is not on track to graduate within the usual 4-year timespan (will need at least 2 or 3 extra semesters).  So I don't know when CS will end for him.

Leigh84
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM
I'm in va, when BM had the kids DH's co said untill they were 18 or graduated hs which ever came last.
Ktina11
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I am not much help. DH's CO says "once child reaches the age of legal majority". I assume that is 18, but since BM held SD back a year before starting kindergarten, SD will be 18 before her senior year of HS. I am not looking forward to him dealing with that. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XXanonymousXX
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM
If SS is currently 18 and graduates in May, then the May payment would be the last. But are you actually paying the May payment in May, or are you paying the April payment in May?
faerie75
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:45 PM
I have no CO but my kids dad paid for my ods after 18 because he turned 18 at the beginning of his senior year. He graduate in May but I was on maternity leave w my baby so I asked him to pay for him through June so he agreed. He was paying me 400 for 2 plus any extra I asked him for. He then started paying me 300 fr just yds and he gives ods money sometimes.
CFSTBSM27
by on May. 12, 2014 at 2:54 PM
18 where we live
Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on May. 12, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Is that a new law? I'm in Cali. The papers state until he isn't a full time high school student. My dh pays Bm directly :)

Quoting Annawest:

Where I live CS stops at 19 now, but you have to go and file an adjustment.  It won't automatically adjust or stop.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jules2boys
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I'm also in CA.  Our paperwork only says until 18.  ODS will turn 18 before he's out of HS (a few months before graduation).  YDS will turn 18 about ~2 - 3 weeks after he graduates HS.   Our CO says everything for BF ends at 18.  (or at least there is no stipulation about them being full time students or anything.  :(  ) 

I'd say DH owes CS for the month that OSS graduates too.  If he gives the $ to his DS, BM could go after him (but would she?).  Not sure that expense would be worth it to her but, since they're amiable, I'd at least let her know his intentions. 

Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on May. 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM
It makes me happy to know that your kids are graduated/graduating college and getting their education on;)

I like hearing about kids graduating college. It makes me smile. I have been seeing a lot of fb posts about family and friends watching loved ones graduating and I think it's cute:) you must be very proud of them:-)

Quoting whatIknownow:

In NJ, it typically lasts through college, if the kid goes to college. My SS19's mom still pays CS for him. My Ex still pays for my son who is turning 21 in July. He filed to end CS for our daughter when she graduated from college. My son is not on track to graduate within the usual 4-year timespan (will need at least 2 or 3 extra semesters).  So I don't know when CS will end for him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN