Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Kid Intros Today! Wish Me Luck!

Posted by on May. 17, 2014 at 8:15 AM
  • 9 Replies

My SO and I are introducing our children to each other today.  We're taking them for a group trip to the zoo and then out to lunch.  His 9-year-old has expressed some nervousness, but aside from that, we all seem to be okay. 

Wish me luck!

by on May. 17, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2014 at 8:17 AM

When we introduced each other, we didn't tell them that we were dating. They were just "mom/dad's friend and his/her kids." It was a low-keyed thing. Why is the 9yo nervous?

but anyway, I hope you have an enjoyable day at the zoo.

LaurenCalt
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 8:23 AM

That was the plan, but SO dropped the ball.  He feels that the 9-year-old is old enough to acknowledge that daddy is in a new relationship.  He talks about me with her, so she knows of me and who I am in daddy's life.  If he said, "We're going to the zoo with Lauren" she would already know that "Lauren" is daddy's new girlfriend. 

Regardless, though, I thought the "friend" title would have taken some of the pressure off, but at the end of the day, it wasn't my decision...

Quoting whatIknownow:

When we introduced each other, we didn't tell them that we were dating. They were just "mom/dad's friend and his/her kids." It was a low-keyed thing. Why is the 9yo nervous?

but anyway, I hope you have an enjoyable day at the zoo.

minimoo
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Good luck! How long have you been dating?
packermom4ever
by Still The Queen on May. 17, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Not long. This is the one whose boyfriend fairly recently ended things with the mom of his 2.5 year old, a woman who was in guys kid's life for about 7 years. Dad thinks introducing soMeone early is no big deal and brushes off his kid's anxiety.

Quoting minimoo: Good luck! How long have you been dating?
LaurenCalt
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Thanks for answering for me like you know me and the situation, but it wasn't necessary.

We've been together for several months.  Not the longest amount of time, but we're comfortable with the way things are going and felt ready to move forward.

Quoting packermom4ever: Not long. This is the one whose boyfriend fairly recently ended things with the mom of his 2.5 year old, a woman who was in guys kid's life for about 7 years. Dad thinks introducing soMeone early is no big deal and brushes off his kid's anxiety.

venessaw04
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:57 PM
Dh met my kids right as we started dating. We've been living together almost as long as we've been dating. good luck with the kids. How old are yours?
craazycuckoo
by on May. 18, 2014 at 1:33 PM

I actually followed this post from somewhere else.

My first thought was 'she is not a stepmom if she's not either in a long term relationship or married to this guy'

Your response sort of solidified it with me.

I'm not a step parent either...I just giggled a bit when I saw the post.

Quoting packermom4ever: Not long. This is the one whose boyfriend fairly recently ended things with the mom of his 2.5 year old, a woman who was in guys kid's life for about 7 years. Dad thinks introducing soMeone early is no big deal and brushes off his kid's anxiety.

LaurenCalt
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 2:14 PM

You're right - I'm not a step mom and I may never be.  I started following this group, because I thought I would get some decent insight on step-parenting and perhaps have a network of supportive people to consult with should I become a step-parent and run into issues.  I've never misrepresented myself as anything but the truth.

Unfortunately, people like you and your gal-pal make websites and forums like this counter-productive, because instead of helping others out, you get bored and feel entitled to voice your nasty opinion where its not requested or needed.

If you don't like my post or agree with what's going on in my life, move on to the next, sister.  Yes, I invite people into my life by posting things on the Internet, but I never asked for shitty feedback on my situation.  I asked for luck as I take a big step in my relationship by meeting my SO's kid.  If you aren't giving that to me, fall back and don't respond.

Thanks! :-)

Quoting craazycuckoo:

I actually followed this post from somewhere else.

My first thought was 'she is not a stepmom if she's not either in a long term relationship or married to this guy'

Your response sort of solidified it with me.

I'm not a step parent either...I just giggled a bit when I saw the post.

kmur
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2014 at 6:06 PM
How did it go? 😀
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)