Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

"Reclaiming" rooms after graduation?

Posted by on May. 25, 2014 at 6:24 PM
  • 37 Replies

'Tis the graduation season.  Several of my friends have step kids graduating now. (most of my friends and I are a little on the young side to have our own bios graduating)

Anyway, lots of pinterest posts and talk of taking over graduating kid's bedroom and turning it into a study or a sewing/craft room or whatnot.

What say you? Do you intend to maintain bedrooms for kids once they're initially out of the house or will you reclaim them and repurpose them?

In our case, I'm packing up the kids' rooms because they will only spend may one or two nights here again ever.  (rental, temporary). 

My childhood bedroom was almost instantly claimed by a younger brother.  I haven't slept in that room since I was in HS. No desire.  No big deal either.

What say you?

by on May. 25, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
andie646c
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2014 at 6:30 PM

The second OSS goes off to college, if he doesn't live here for college, that room becomes DD's. She will be 7 years old and I think she will kind of need a room of her own by then. When YSS goes off to college or moves out a year later, that room is becoming my office/guest room (fr if SK's visit or something).

hershey6
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2014 at 6:34 PM
Right now we have the 2 older boys down in the basement and it is just one big open room. Next year, after SS17 graduates, we are going to divide the basement into 2 rooms and have SD11 move into one room and keep SS13 in the other. That will allow SD11 and SD4 to have their own spaces- they currently share
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2014 at 6:36 PM
I'm far away from having a child leave the nest and quite honestly, I imagine my dd13 will attend community college first and continue to live at home. I'm hoping she will go to University here to cut down on the cost of living. She can attend the local university and live at home. She has 4 to choose from. That is my hope anyway.

My brother on the other hand - his oldest just completed her second year of school. As soon as she left he turned her room in to a man cave. Then there was a revolving door of needy relatives - elderly parents, a displaced brother in law, a struggling nephew - who all 'borrowed' his cave for a few months here and there. He finally got his cave back and then BAM his oldest child (a stepchild he has helped raise since she was 18 months) has decided to transfer back home and attend college where they are - also asking to move back home for the summer. She will live in town once school starts. I talked to him today and he said ... Well I really am just about to give up on having my man cave until ALL of the kids have moved out. Then we can have two guest rooms and my cave will be safe. Lol poor guy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elrikandisis
by on May. 25, 2014 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 2.5 and I already have plans for her room LOL

SassyMom25
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2014 at 6:42 PM

It will depend on what SS does after graduation. If he goes away to college or moves out and gets a job...the room will go to one of our DDs who currently share a room. If he stays at home and goes to college locally, then he will keep his room.

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Our children are still young but they are all expected to go to University overseas, I doubt they will live here afterwards but their rooms will remain for whenever they visit.

macbudsmom
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2014 at 7:17 PM
My plans are to leave their rooms their rooms until they become more settled as adults.
babie113
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2014 at 7:20 PM
My sd graduated last year her room is now a guest room .its different though
soonergirl980
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Well for us it would really depend. We live in military housing and are afforded a certain number of rooms based on dependents. My DS plans to also join the military after graduation HS so if we moved after that we would probably not get a room for him. My ODD plans on going to college I'm not sure what the rules are for being allowed to keep a room for her for when she is home during that time also there are not a whole lot of military housing that are smaller than 3 bedrooms in my experiace so we may have 3 anyway. If so it will be her room to use when she is here. We will be leaving the military around the time my YDD is graduating so we will be then purchasing a home we plan to build one with at least 3 bedrooms so that we have plenty of space for them when they visit. May use them as dual purpose rooms but they will always be ready for them if they need it.

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2014 at 8:21 PM
I intend to keep DD15 and DS11 rooms as bedrooms. For them to use as visitors or for grand kids to use to sleep over. The other bedroom and the bonus room in the garage will be an office/craft/work room and man cave/tanning bed area. So, pretty much my home won't change much. The fourth bedroom is still about like SS18 and SS21 left it and my slothass BIL has the bonus room. I can't wait until he leaves. His room will be repurposed as soon as he picks up the last box of his shit. I will have DH tanning bed being delivered as BIL is walking out of the house.

I hate his ass.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)