Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support Adjustments

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

What do you think are good reasons/situations for raising or lowering child support of the NCP? A lot of posts on here are by BM who say BF are not paying enough or SM saying BF pays too much.  Not really needing advice. Just a blurb.

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Birdseed
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Change of circumstance >10% of current.

That's our state's idea of a reason for change.

I think my DH should've filed for change when he was unemployed.  I think that it should change again now that they're (BM and DH) both employed.  I think that anytime someone is making significantly more or less than the last time it was figured, it should change.

IF you believe as our state puts forth, that CS is supposed to equalize things between two homes.

WickedPissah
by 2Sexy4MyStoma on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Change of circumstance.
But I'd always give the advice to do the work sheet.
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:00 PM

We split major expenses like medical, dental and education expenses 50/50 so after the initial CS order the increases are usually based on costs of living/inflation, I think that is reasonable.

Career Woman, Wife and Mother of Two Children, a Girl and a Boy.

Steph84FL
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:02 PM
My support hasnt been adjusted in the eleven years its been open lol. I dont have the slightest clue

Quoting one4theroad:

What do you think are good reasons/situations for raising or lowering child support of the NCP? A lot of posts on here are by BM who say BF are not paying enough or SM saying BF pays too much.  Not really needing advice. Just a blurb.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM
BM now makes quite a bit more (CS was originally set when her income was minimum wage). She pays (or is ordered to pay) a pretty small amount, about 1/5 of SD's actual expenses per month.

DH has been tossing around the idea of asking for it to be recalculated based on her making so much more.

In our state though, CS can be recalculated every 2 years without a reason.
one4theroad
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Our state requires a 20% change in circumstance. DH thought about having it recalculated bc BM will not obtain gainful employment, but since he has gotten raises, it would probably not help any that's why he never took it to court.

Quoting Tinkerbellmama: BM now makes quite a bit more (CS was originally set when her income was minimum wage). She pays (or is ordered to pay) a pretty small amount, about 1/5 of SD's actual expenses per month. DH has been tossing around the idea of asking for it to be recalculated based on her making so much more. In our state though, CS can be recalculated every 2 years without a reason.

one4theroad
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:13 PM

I feel your pain. My original CS order was back in 2004 based on my ex making $7.50 an hour. I have never had it modified bc  I never got the $50 a week I was supposed to get. I guess keeping the child support and not going back to court everytime for whatever reason keeps the CP from holding his/her hand out demanding more.

Quoting Steph84FL: My support hasnt been adjusted in the eleven years its been open lol. I dont have the slightest clue
Quoting one4theroad:

jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:16 PM
I'm a BM only. My kids have a SM. XH pays $250/month in CS for our 2 boys. On paper we share joint legal and physical custody. Reality is we've never shared 50/50 but the majority is with me. Currently I have ODS16 about 95% and YDS11 about 85-90% of the time. Our CS order hasn't changed in 9 years.

I've tried reworking it with him but we couldn't come to an agreement since he feels he already pays too much. Now I'm going to ask the state to look into it. Maybe he's right and he does pay too much? Maybe I'm right and he's been paying too little for too long. If I'm right, this isn't his fault since I've not requested a change in 9 years. If he's right then that's his fault for not requesting a change in 9 years.

But, like others have said, changes in circumstances (time, financial, living situations, etc.) can be reasons to review CS amounts.
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 12:53 AM
I haven't adjusted in over 8 years and I don't intend to ask for a review either. I think I am 'eligible' for a review in September/October. I cannot be 100% positive but I'm pretty sure my ex is making more than he was 8 years ago. He's actually working in his degreed field now, where before he was not. However, I'm happy with the amount that is ordered. It was an agreed to amount that was close to the calculation for our state.

OP - the answer to your question is dependent on your states guidelines. It doesn't matter what anyone else believes or feels - it matters what your state will allow. Have you looked up your states guidelines for reviews and modifications?
Quoting Steph84FL: My support hasnt been adjusted in the eleven years its been open lol. I dont have the slightest clue

Quoting one4theroad:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)