Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is what I get...

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:09 PM
  • 7 Replies

For going on OSD"s 3 day field trip....  the pictures are just nasty...  We leave bright and early  tomorrow at 5:30

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2014/05/swarms_of_midge_fly_on_macknia.html

MACKINAC ISLAND -- If you're visiting Mackinaw City or Mackinac Island in the next couple weeks, you'll likely be greeted with an unpleasant surprise near the waterfront: swarms of black insects.

The swarms are midge flies, which look like mosquitos but don't bite. The bugs are incredibly annoying: Look anywhere and they will be there. Open your mouth, a few will get in. Swat and your hand will move through them.

These midges are common in Northern Michigan and other areas around the Great Lakes during this time of year when the ice melts and waters begin to warm.

"Adult midges have a short life span, their function being merely to swarm, mate, and lay their eggs," Patricia Martin wrote in the Mackinac Island Town Crier.

The nuisance will not last long: the bugs' life span is between 5 to 10 days.

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Birdseed
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:12 PM

THey're so gross . Seriously.  You can't even open your mouth when they swarm.  Hand over face.  It's bad. 

Just like the mayflies.  If you're there during a hatch...ugh.

Good luck mama!

Polkadotted
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:18 PM

I was fearing the cold... silly me.   Maybe I should hunt down some bandanas or surgical masks. 

Quoting Birdseed:

THey're so gross . Seriously.  You can't even open your mouth when they swarm.  Hand over face.  It's bad. 

Good luck mama!

Polkadotted
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Tomorrow we go to the island and the Grand Hotel for lunch.  Then Wed we are doing Soo Locks, Whitefish Point and Tahquamenon Falls. Then Thurs we do Fort Michmilimackinac and some adventure place with a zip line.  I'm excited.  I don't know about the 5 hour bus ride with a bunch of 4th graders though.  oh and it's storming now with a good chance of rain tomorrow.

Quoting Birdseed:

Good luck mama!

Birdseed
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Bandanna for face good idea. :)

Also glasses.

I have been up there during this hatch and it is not painful but you get more protein than you intend. 

jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Something tells me the tourism department isn't using THIS as a selling point.... ick! 

Good luck!  Somehow I think the bus ride might be the better part of the adventure (over these bugs). 

SassyMom25
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 12:25 AM
Ugh...we have cicadas coming in fast here. They are also gross and make a lot of noise.
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 12:28 AM
Beautiful island though. Spent a very romantic week with my first husband. You see how that ended? Lol maybe it was the black insect swarm that got us haha

Have fun? I think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)