Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

how does 50/50 custody work....

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:03 PM
  • 11 Replies
in a situation where bm and dad live 10 min from eachother?

child support?
one week at dads next week moms?
by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bothsidesofcoin
by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:05 PM
There's usually no CS if there is 50/50 custody. But it varies. I've seen every other week for custody
fedupmama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Here child support is based off parents income so there can still be support ordered.
XXanonymousXX
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this
My DH has 50/50. BM has always been 10 minutes or less away.

For us, one parent gets Mon & Tues, the other Wed & Thurs, and then EOW.

DH is the residential parent, for school enrollment and such, as we own and are going to be here a while but BM rents and moves pretty frequently.

They split the cost of health insurance monthly. On that monthly check they also reimburse eachother for shared expenses like school costs, EC's, if they share any childcare (like they will this summer), medical/dental over and above what insurance covers. Basically everything except day to day or household specific stuff like clothes.

It's really been great for SD. She has two involved parents, she doesn't see either as the "primary".

But I recommend an official agreement filed with the court detailing the schedule, the financial agreement, that both parents make joint medical decisions, etc. It will make everything run alot smoother than just deviating from an existing visitation schedule.
codysara
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Thats my schedule. The 2, 2, 3. People are always soo confused when I tell them. Unfortunately we live 30 minutes apart so we do a lot of driving. But the kids dont want to go a week with out seeing either one of us so we make it work.

Quoting XXanonymousXX: My DH has 50/50. BM has always been 10 minutes or less away.

For us, one parent gets Mon & Tues, the other Wed & Thurs, and then EOW.

DH is the residential parent, for school enrollment and such, as we own and are going to be here a while but BM rents and moves pretty frequently.

They split the cost of health insurance monthly. On that monthly check they also reimburse eachother for shared expenses like school costs, EC's, if they share any childcare (like they will this summer), medical/dental over and above what insurance covers. Basically everything except day to day or household specific stuff like clothes.

It's really been great for SD. She has two involved parents, she doesn't see either as the "primary".

But I recommend an official agreement filed with the court detailing the schedule, the financial agreement, that both parents make joint medical decisions, etc. It will make everything run alot smoother than just deviating from an existing visitation schedule.
Rocker.Mom.07
by The Savior on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM

DH and BM switch every Friday at 5pm. From what my DH told me, there is a certain number of overnights that determines CS or not, here. Neither BM or DH pay CS since they have the same amount of time (give or take a few for split holidays and such).

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:00 PM
We have 50/50 visitation, EOW, no cs is exchanged. We live 5 mins from each other.
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think that parents who share physical custody equally should have a child support order. My neighbors who do 50/50, switch on Fridays after school. So the kids go to dads on friday after school and are with dad until the following Friday morning. Then on Friday afternoon they go to moms until the following Friday.

These two parents make it seem so simple. Mom lives across the street from the middle school. So the kids walk to her house every day and stay at her house until dad gets home. He lives next door to me which is 2 miles from mom. Mom and dad both work so going to moms every day is the best option because it's directly across from the school. And they are both old enough to stay home after school alone.

I see them all the time though. They leave something at dads, she drives over to get it. Sometimes he has the kids when it's his 'off' week and I assume it's just a switch because of something going on with mom. They even sit together at band concerts. I see one or the other holding a seat for the other.

Neither are remarried or in a relationship. It just seems so simple to me. Lol very easy going. It helps they live so close and probably also helps that they get along so well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:33 PM
Originally, DH had SS from Wednesday (long week) or Thursday (short week) evening until Sunday evening. We had SS every weekend, which was fun for us but frustrating for BM.

They ended up switching the schedule to every other week. Pickup time is after school (or 3 during the summer) on Friday. The parent who doesn't have him for the week picks him up for a three hour midweek visit.

No CS is paid, and all of SS's expenses are split.
MamaBear131716
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 12:23 AM
I have 50/50 with my dd. We switch every Friday at 3pm. We live less than a mile from each other. Neither pays support.
venessaw04
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 12:34 AM
We do eow and split any cost for kid. We each provide food and clothes at our home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN