Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

This time, it's not BM! Vacations. Update 6/10 first post

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2014 at 10:05 PM
  • 20 Replies

If you've been following along the last 6 mos or so, you know that planning a damned vacation for this family is like trying to play Jenga with no fingers.  Very difficult.

Thought I had this one all worked out.  Haven't seen DH in 6 mos. Supposed to fly out this week to meet him for a week overseas then fly home to see the kids for a week.  Except um...TERRORISTS have now effed up my plans.  Not BM.  Actual freaking terrorists.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/09/world/asia/deadly-attack-karachi-international-airport.html?_r=0

They've attacked/blown up parts of the bloody airport that DH is supposed to fly out of and of course, my trip insurance only covers terrorism at our destination, not our starting points.

I MAY be taking vacay all by myself. One way or another though, I'm going on a damned vacation. 

SMH.

UPDATE: Due to the second attack at Karachi's airport, they've agreed to cancel his Karachi stuff and fly him out of his current location.  It just means he'll get to Spain a few days before me.  But at least it's a go!  Unless of course things start blowing up at his current location again.  It wasn't so good last week but nothing bad this week thus far.

by on Jun. 8, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thecircus8
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 10:12 PM
5 moms liked this
I am so sorry, but couldn't help giggling.

Bird take that damn vacay and who cares if anyone else goes.

Spend lots of money, go to the spa, get drunk and have a blast.
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 10:20 PM

I know right?  And this was the "easy" one!  OMG.

I'm totally going.  BM will not stop me.  Terrorists will not stop me.  I have to just laugh at this point.  Though I will admit, I went for a beer run and have zero intention of accomplishing anything else tonight.  I'm just waiting by the phone to see what news DH has.  Amazingly, he is able to communicate through this situation. 

I called my dad after I got off the phone with the insurance company and just told him, "Ya know, I don't believe in God, but if I did, I'd think he thought I was a really special snowflake for all the obstacles he throws at me!" 

Quoting thecircus8: I am so sorry, but couldn't help giggling. Bird take that damn vacay and who cares if anyone else goes. Spend lots of money, go to the spa, get drunk and have a blast.

lovemyfriend
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Wow. That is awful. At least you get a vacation? Sorry :-(
lovemyfriend
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Can you reschedule at all?
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 10:24 PM

I know that I can reschedule my flight for about $300.  (1800 dollar flight).  But I'm not sure about the cruise as they were closed by the time I found out.  Also not sure about the cottage I rented for us with the kids back home.  Working on it all right now.  Weeeeee!

Quoting lovemyfriend: Can you reschedule at all?

cdrainey3
by Cher on Jun. 8, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Wow girl! Seriously go on a vacation by yourself at this point! So sorry!
lovemyfriend
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Wow that is lame. I'm sorry. Well it sounds like an amazing trip even if you just go by yourself so...at least there's that. Where's the cruise?

Quoting Birdseed:

I know that I can reschedule my flight for about $300.  (1800 dollar flight).  But I'm not sure about the cruise as they were closed by the time I found out.  Also not sure about the cottage I rented for us with the kids back home.  Working on it all right now.  Weeeeee!

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 10:34 PM

oh christ on a crutch-honey go hole up at some luxury spa and get spoiled!!!

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Starts in Barcelona.  Hitting Nice, Cannes, Florence (bus in), Rome (bus in), Majorca...I've been to all of these places before when I lived in Italy but I was really excited to see them with DH.

Quoting lovemyfriend: Wow that is lame. I'm sorry. Well it sounds like an amazing trip even if you just go by yourself so...at least there's that. Where's the cruise?
Quoting Birdseed:

advomom05
by Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Wow, I have read many of your other posts regarding vacations and planning and just...wow!

Maybe you should just go on your own and let the chips fall where they may. Who knows, maybe things are supposed to happen this way, maybe you'll have some amazing epiphany that will lead you to the meaning of life or maybe you'll meet someone and make some fantastic connection (networking, not romantic) that will change your entire life!

Or maybe you'll just have a good time and an actual, enjoyable vacation without all the stress of coordinating schedules, etc.

I am sorry though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)