Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

how did your skids/kids react

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:15 PM
  • 31 Replies
when you and dh had another baby? my dh and i are trying to conceive and im scared of how my skids will react...
by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rsmom2511
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM
It depends on their age and mental health I suppose. My SS15 cried. I think that tells you something about his mental health. ;). Good luck and baby dust!!
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:23 PM

They were fine. They mentioned it first.

jules2boys
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:43 PM

My boys didn't react well to the news, either time.  They were 4 and 8 (I think) when told the first time and 6 and 11 (I think) the 2nd time.  Their problem is they don't care for SM and weren't 'happy' she and BF were bringing more kids into the mess they see is BF/SMs home.  They're ambivalent about their sisters.  They love them but do not want to spend time with them nor do they enjoy their company.  That's the relationship BF/SM have built for the boys over there though.  (I'd actually feel sorry for BF and SM if they told the boys today that they were expecting again.  I'm sure the thoughts from the 16yo wouldn't be pretty... ;) )

Truly, though, there are much bigger things to be 'scared' about than how the skids may/may not react.  This may seem 'big' now, but it truly isn't.

Do the skids have younger siblings with BM/SF?  How long have their parents been divorced?  How old are the skids? 

LoveH523
by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 9:14 PM
SD is very excited! She asks every night she is here "how many more days?" And my DD knows, she understands that there's a baby in mommy's belly, and asks about his clothes and blankets but I don't think she understands that baby is coming soon and he'll be here with us and not in my belly
amanda_mom89
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 9:29 PM
My SD was roughly 15 months old when we found out we were expecting our first. So she didn't really understand. 4 months later BM found out she was pregnant with her 2nd child, so SD got 2 siblings back to back.

She regressed verbally for a few months(baby babble) , but then she Did just fine. She is a very good big sister to all of her siblings.

Last August BM had her 3rd and I found out I was pregnant with our 2nd.

So now SD has 4 siblings all in the same age range. She does great with it. Although she has said she doesn't want anyone to have anymore babies. Lol
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 9:50 PM

It's not just a step kid thing, OP.  Lots of kids are not so hip to the idea of a new sibling.

I didn't even realize my mom was pregnant with my first brother (in my defense, I was only 3).  I remember the day she was going to the hospital (scheduled C-section).  She went out to the swings with me and told me she'd be gone for a few days and when she came home, I'd have a baby brother.  Was. Not. Happy.  In fact, I was a class A asshole when baby bro did come home.

For my youngest bro, I was 7 and my middle brother was 4.  Mom and Dad told us the news (and recorded it) right before leaving for vacation to see family.  All of the family knew so they had to tell us.  When they broke the news, my brother and I were both like "But we wanted a KITTEN!"

My SDs are older.  When they first heard that DH and I wanted to have a baby it was a major big deal melt down by the kids followed by the worst fight my DH and I have ever had. 

Ultimately though, if it's what you want to do, do it and the kids will get over it. 

runinpinkshoes
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:14 PM
DH and I are trying (but I have issues so it'll take a while) and all 3 kids seem excited about the possibility. They even want us to adopt if I can't get pregnant. And they've helped us pick out names.

Two years ago though, SD14 had issues with the idea. She feared it would mean DH would love her less.
Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:18 PM

they never knew....I was only 6-7 weeks along when I miscarried.

I'm not sure if DH or BM told them either.

But I can say when BM got pregnant with her youngest-SD was 6 and ss was barely a year old-sd wasn't happy-she got violent towards her mother and baby son...she was acting out at home and at her father's house...having issues in school.

Eventually she got over it.

leegirl_jm
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 11:25 PM

SS was happy to have siblings, I didn't have a concern as long before we even got married SS asked for siblings.

babie113
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Ss didnt care .sd was 14 and was very jealous mostly because she was used to having all the attention and when my son came that changed .she actually admitted being jealous of the attention he got and the attention I got via him .it was a rough road with her .
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)