Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

How old were your kids when you stopped reminding?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:07 PM
  • 33 Replies

Normally for DH/BM bdays, xmas, Mother's Day, and Father's Day I get with the kids and buy a gift for their parents from them.

Father's Day is coming up obviously.  Because of some other things that have been going on, I totally spaced it off and did not ask the kids about gifts for Dad. This will be the first year since the kids were born that DH is not with them on Father's Day so it's probaly even MORE important to him.

I was walking through Rite Aid this afternoon picking up supplies for our trip when I overheard some kids with their mom picking out a card for Dad and thought "Sh!t I screwed up!"

But then I thought about it a bit more and ya know...they are 14 and 16YO now.  Shouldn't they maybe be able to keep track of this stuff themselves and reach out if they want to do something?  They seem able to remember Christmas for Mom, and Mom's bday and Mother's Day pretty well.  They got ahold of me for all of those this year, had ideas, just needed a credit card. 

So that got me thinking...at what point do you let them drive that sort of gift giving to parents? 

by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sara82lee
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:16 PM
My kids are (mostly) younger than that, and are all over it. They've been nagging me incessantly about it.
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:17 PM
I would say they are old enough now. I stopped long time ago for BF. Not my place anymore. In regards to my dh, dd doesn't really do gifts for him. She'll be with her dad and I've not said anything about Father's Day for dh. He's not her dad. But my son is only 6 and we are going shopping on Saturday. I already know what I'm going to pick up - just have to go get it.

The schools and daycare are always so good about doing a ton of crafts for these days - excluding birthdays ... I really don't have to do much. I guess that's what I pay them for while I'm working lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I'd send them a text

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:19 PM

I had a teacher tell me this year "I don't do father's day because I never know if these kids have a dad or who the man living with mom is"....

Quoting momof2ex1: I would say they are old enough now. I stopped long time ago for BF. Not my place anymore. In regards to my dh, dd doesn't really do gifts for him. She'll be with her dad and I've not said anything about Father's Day for dh. He's not her dad. But my son is only 6 and we are going shopping on Saturday. I already know what I'm going to pick up - just have to go get it. The schools and daycare are always so good about doing a ton of crafts for these days - excluding birthdays ... I really don't have to do much. I guess that's what I pay them for while I'm working lol

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I had emailed them 2 weeks ago and then forgot about it.  I'll text tomorrow...too late tonight, I don't want to shoot a text this late on a school night.  But there's really not much I can do at this point. Dad is already enroute to our meet point and I'm leaving soon.  So I can't order anything and get it here in time anyway.

Quoting Polkadotted:

I'd send them a text

sara82lee
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Wow :(

Quoting Polkadotted:

I had a teacher tell me this year "I don't do father's day because I never know if these kids have a dad or who the man living with mom is"....

Quoting momof2ex1: I would say they are old enough now. I stopped long time ago for BF. Not my place anymore. In regards to my dh, dd doesn't really do gifts for him. She'll be with her dad and I've not said anything about Father's Day for dh. He's not her dad. But my son is only 6 and we are going shopping on Saturday. I already know what I'm going to pick up - just have to go get it.

The schools and daycare are always so good about doing a ton of crafts for these days - excluding birthdays ... I really don't have to do much. I guess that's what I pay them for while I'm working lol

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:25 PM

And Cripes!  I forgot about my dad too.  Until just this moment.  We've just started talking again in the last year so I haven't done anything Father's Day for him in 20 years...

Okay so let's just say that Birdseed is totally losing all ability to plan effectively as this trip approaches.  I swear to God, when I get done with the next couple of weeks of vacation, I'm going to need a vacation!  LOL 

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:25 PM

SD is 13 (almost 14), but developmentally about 11ish. DS is 11, and DDs are 6 and 7. The younger 3 kiddos are making things for DH in school. I've already bought DH's gift, it's being delivered tomorrow :) We got him a bunch of stuff for his guitar (a bunch of picks, a pick making thingy, a new guitar strap, and some new strings).

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:44 PM

if you emailed them, I'd let it go. once should be enough.

Quoting Birdseed:

I had emailed them 2 weeks ago and then forgot about it.  I'll text tomorrow...too late tonight, I don't want to shoot a text this late on a school night.  But there's really not much I can do at this point. Dad is already enroute to our meet point and I'm leaving soon.  So I can't order anything and get it here in time anyway.

Quoting Polkadotted:

I'd send them a text

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:45 PM

It's very true in our building though :(

Quoting sara82lee: Wow :(
Quoting Polkadotted:

Quoting momof2ex1: I would say they are old enough now. I stopped long time ago for BF. Not my place anymore. In regards to my dh, dd doesn't really do gifts for him. She'll be with her dad and I've not said anything about Father's Day for dh. He's not her dad. But my son is only 6 and we are going shopping on Saturday. I already know what I'm going to pick up - just have to go get it. The schools and daycare are always so good about doing a ton of crafts for these days - excluding birthdays ... I really don't have to do much. I guess that's what I pay them for while I'm working lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN