Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Paying ex mother- in- law to babysit

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:27 AM
  • 45 Replies

My DH's ex mother-in-law wants to charge him and (supposedly his ex) to watch the kids over the summer.  Her "rates" are cheaper than the local daycares/camps.  Has anyone ever heard of parents charging to babysit their grandkids, or know of anyone who does pay for this?

by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Sounds like a good deal. She gets a little extra cash and you get a lower rate. Win- win.

HalfDozenKids06
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I used to have to pay my mom $250 a week to watch my daughter while I was working. I was a single mom and it was literally half my paycheck. 

Needless to say, when she started watching my nephew, she didnt charge my married sister a penny.

XXanonymousXX
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I can understand her charging. It's a big job. Seems fair.

BUT. Is she really charging BM? That would be my issue. This may be a way to give only BM childcare for free. In essence that makes DH responsible for the entirety of the cost, which I assume is against the CO.

But in the end what can you do? Pay more to use other childcare or pay less and possibly let BM hitch a secret free ride.
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:42 AM

My SIL babysat my skids during the summer (on BM's time too and BM didn't work).  DH paid her.  Kids eat food.  Kids take energy.  Crafts and other materials cost money.  I think it's absolutely reasonable to pay for childcare even if it's a family member. 

venessaw04
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM

i paid my mom when she watched the kids.  Why wouldnt you.  They are not her kids to care of all summer.  or you could just pay more to send somewhere else

Oliviasmom72
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Why is she expected to babysit for free? I would pay my parents something if they babysay full time just to help with expenses and give them a little extra money. It's not grandparents job to babysit for free fulltime. Although I would expect she would charge something and not of course market rate. Is she going to watch other kids?

apmmoc
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Ok, so I see that is common to charge parents to babysit.  In our case, it's more of the fact that my DH and his ex MIL never got along.  He would prefer not to pay someone, who is going to talk bad about him, to his kids all summer.  The daycare arrangement was never agreed upon and was just decided without discussion.  We do not have a CO.

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:50 PM

My friends mother used to charge her to watch her daughter while she was at work during the week.  For me, it makes sense if you're having someone watch your kids full time.

Now, it would be a bit odd, IMHO, to charge family for the occassional night out.

XXanonymousXX
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM
So if there is no CO, no agreement, and he doesn't want to pay exMIL why not just send the kids somewhere else?

Quoting apmmoc:

Ok, so I see that is common to charge parents to babysit.  In our case, it's more of the fact that my DH and his ex MIL never got along.  He would prefer not to pay someone, who is going to talk bad about him, to his kids all summer.  The daycare arrangement was never agreed upon and was just decided without discussion.  We do not have a CO.

sheramom4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM

It doesn't happen in my family but I have heard it is common. My mom would be mortified if we offered her money, as would my brothers and SILs. I do trade babysitting with my siblings. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)