Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Obese SD

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:02 PM
  • 21 Replies
So my SD14 who has special needs though is high-functioning, has just come to visit for the summer (though she might end up staying but that's for another post) and she has gained a LOT of weight just in the past couple months. She has been overweight for the past couple years, but now she is very much obese. She has a huge appetite which is a constant struggle but her BM also feeds her junk food (by her own admission and the kids have corroborated this). BM says she cannot afford healthy food most of the time but also does not encourage SD to be active. I know we cannot control BM but I really want to do whatever we can to get SD healthy while we have her because she is pre-diabetic and has developed bad habits. She used to love healthy, diverse foods but now she craves junk food more. Has anyone dealt with this type of thing? Any suggestions? I am pretty active myself and eat fairly healthy, and DH is the one really concerned for SD, but we wonder if there is anything more we can do besides keeping good food in the house and encouraging her to play outside.
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:08 PM
4 moms liked this

feed her healthy foods....drink more water...dont let her have access to soda and sugary juices....my DD was on her way to being severely obese (although it was due to health issues and too many people feeding her while we lived with family)

What I had to do when we moved in with DH-it was a shock to her system....but its worth the fight.

No soda/no sugary juice/tea (we home brew tea)

Lots of fruit and veggies....I dont care if the kids ate around the clock-but it can't be junk of any kind.

SD and DD will eat fruit non stop.

Find outside activities that are great for her.

DD is physically handicapped....one thing we did that she loved-was get a wii....she does wii sports and Just dance (she loves music and loves to dance)

If you have to lock cabinets-then do so. DO NOT HIDE CRAPSHIT FOOD-SHE WILL FIND IT!!

Maybe get her a bike...or a trip to the YMCA?! DD loves gym class and to work out and have fun doing it.

andie646c
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

It's summer time. One of the best rules in the summer time, for kids (and mom's sanity), is "Go outside and do not come in unless you need to pee or get a drink!". Then drinks are only water or watered down Gatorade/Powerade.

Don't keep any junk food in your house, at all. Keep lots of fresh fruits and veggies for snacking at any time.

If she is obese, you aren't going to get her to a normal weight in just a couple months. Don't even try. Just focus on instilling healthy eating habits instead.

Also, don't tell her that she is fat. Don't mention her weight. At 14, this is a very sensitive subject. She is absolutely beautiful just the way she is. Just focus on, "This is how we eat in this house, this is what we do in this house" and leave it at that. It has nothing to do with her weight.

codysara
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:21 PM
How much does she weigh at 14? A dr should check her cholesterol and check for diabetes.
rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:25 PM
Were actually not sure at the moment, we don't own a scale but DH plans to make a DR appt for her soon. If I had to guess I would say 140, possibly more, and she is less than 5' tall.

Quoting codysara: How much does she weigh at 14? A dr should check her cholesterol and check for diabetes.
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

If she has a pretty major appetite, I'd suggest having a snack bin in the fridge that she's allowed to get into whenever she wants except for maybe 30 min before dinner.  In that, I'd put the snack bag size baggies of veggies, put fruit in there, yogurt, cheese sticks, etc.  With fruits and veggies, she really can eat as much as she wants and it will be fine. 

I would not keep junk in the house.  I never did and everyone survived.  LOL. 

As for activity, I think it needs to be a family thing especially when kids aren't used to doing things by themselves.  Go for a walk after dinner.  Go for a bike ride.  Get into geocaching where you're walking/hiking a bit to get to a spot. 

My SDs were with us 50/50.  The did not have very good options or habits at Mom's.  Eldest SD started really packing on the pounds.  Mom has always struggled with her weight. Offering healthy choices and going over the guidelines helped with SD. SHE was in control of things but we made sure she had good options.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Maybe sign her up for some kind of day camp? They keep the kids pretty active and have limited access to food.

codysara
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:44 PM
That is big but just for comparison, my 8yr old ss is 120. And 4' 9". He has extreme high cholesterol. But like the other ladies say, you can only control what you do at your home. I can't buy junk food when he is with us because he will sneak it.

Quoting rocknmom85: Were actually not sure at the moment, we don't own a scale but DH plans to make a DR appt for her soon. If I had to guess I would say 140, possibly more, and she is less than 5' tall.

Quoting codysara: How much does she weigh at 14? A dr should check her cholesterol and check for diabetes.
6isus
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this
What is her diagnosis? Is she on any meds? Any med changed in last 6 months? Even a dosage change?

Rapid weight gain can very well be associated with medications (see it a lot with anti-seizure and tone management medications)!
rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 8:34 PM
Her diagnosis is high-functioning autistic (though we question that), ODD and mood disorder NOS. She has been off meds for the past year, the stuff she was taking before was making things worse. She was on antiseizure meds at one point and did gain weight, but that was a few years ago. She's almost always been a little chubby except when she was on concerta, but this is not just chubby anymore.

Quoting 6isus: What is her diagnosis? Is she on any meds? Any med changed in last 6 months? Even a dosage change?

Rapid weight gain can very well be associated with medications (see it a lot with anti-seizure and tone management medications)!
rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM
That's a good idea, we will just have to find one that can accommodate her special needs.

Quoting whatIknownow:

Maybe sign her up for some kind of day camp? They keep the kids pretty active and have limited access to food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)