Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Can you adopt your stepchildren??

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:20 AM
  • 38 Replies

I lived in Texas, I was wondering if you can adopt your step children. Because my hushband(not my sons father ) asked me if he could adopt my son. Hes been their for my son since is father hasnt support him and helps alot with taking care of him, Hes speacil needs 

by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. I am also in Texas and we have completed a stepparent adoption.

Where is the father? How old is your son? How long have you been married? And how long has his father been absent? Does he pay child support?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs.hartman12
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Yes, step parent adoptions are the most common types of adoption. A simple google search will tell you your state laws. Don't diy if you guys do it though, get an attorney.
chanizen
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Does the other biological parent agree to the adoption?
codysara
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:07 PM
In Arizona, unless the BP give up their rights there is no chance of adoption.
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:24 PM
In Texas, where the OP lives, rights can be terminated after 4 years of no contact by a BP without their consent. That means NO contact. No emails. No child support. Nothing.

Quoting codysara: In Arizona, unless the BP give up their rights there is no chance of adoption.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
codysara
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM
I agree with that. My sisters xh is in jail. Suppose to be sentenced soon for up to 9 years, he hasnt seen my nieces in almost 2 years. Has wrote 1 letter from jail. Which she kept from them because the whole letter was about all the horrible things he has done and how if mommy would have taken him back than he never would have gotten this bad. So technically he did try to contact them.

Quoting momof2ex1: In Texas, where the OP lives, rights can be terminated after 4 years of no contact by a BP without their consent. That means NO contact. No emails. No child support. Nothing.

Quoting codysara: In Arizona, unless the BP give up their rights there is no chance of adoption.
cheetah90210
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:32 PM
Yes my husband adopted my son I'm Maryland it's after six months no contact it's labeled as abandonment we did it after a year no contact.
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this
He did try. The thing is - he will be out eventually. It sucks their dad is in jail but if he does try to stay connected during his prison term, he can hopefully resume a relationship once he is out.

Sometimes, and that is a big sometimes, people who go to jail kind of realize they can't be what they need to be to their kids so they ask to terminate rights in the best interest of the children. If the crime they committed was not towards their child - then I think a parent in jail should still keep in contact by letters and short visits so that when they are released at least they can begin to build off of what they were able to maintain while locked up.

I feel the same way about parents in the military. Fortunately now, there are laws that protect service men and women from having their rights terminated while deployed.

Quoting codysara: I agree with that. My sisters xh is in jail. Suppose to be sentenced soon for up to 9 years, he hasnt seen my nieces in almost 2 years. Has wrote 1 letter from jail. Which she kept from them because the whole letter was about all the horrible things he has done and how if mommy would have taken him back than he never would have gotten this bad. So technically he did try to contact them.

Quoting momof2ex1: In Texas, where the OP lives, rights can be terminated after 4 years of no contact by a BP without their consent. That means NO contact. No emails. No child support. Nothing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:36 PM
6 months seems not long enough to take away someone's rights. Take away unsupervised visits? Sure but end the parent child relationship? Kids still remember who that person is after only 6 months. 4 years? That seems fair considering it's a consistent pattern over a long period of time. Their intentions are clear at that point.

Quoting cheetah90210: Yes my husband adopted my son I'm Maryland it's after six months no contact it's labeled as abandonment we did it after a year no contact.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cheetah90210
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Well that's the law. And my son was only two in a half when he adopted him and his bio dad had not been present for over a year.

Quoting momof2ex1: 6 months seems not long enough to take away someone's rights. Take away unsupervised visits? Sure but end the parent child relationship? Kids still remember who that person is after only 6 months. 4 years? That seems fair considering it's a consistent pattern over a long period of time. Their intentions are clear at that point.

Quoting cheetah90210: Yes my husband adopted my son I'm Maryland it's after six months no contact it's labeled as abandonment we did it after a year no contact.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN