Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

crossing state lines

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:23 PM
  • 25 Replies
I'm not able to find a straight answer about this. if dh has primary custody and doesn't consent to allow sd to cross state lines, is it a federal offense?
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:26 PM
In my state a parent can take a child across state lines as long as the child is back for the normal exchange unless otherwise agreed upon or indicated otherwise in a CO. It's not an offense at all.

Some states may be different though.
progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:26 PM
Does the CO say anything about crossing state lines?

We live right on the border between four different states. We frequently cross state lines.
miapia1020
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Co says 30 days written notice must be given, so I know it would be contempt, but I didn't know if it was also a federal offense since state lines would be crossed

Quoting progressandjoy: Does the CO say anything about crossing state lines?

We live right on the border between four different states. We frequently cross state lines.
pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Quoting progressandjoy: Does the CO say anything about crossing state lines? We live right on the border between four different states. We frequently cross state lines.

Same with me.  I doubt it is a federal offense unless there was some egregious or illegal intent associated with it.  It might be contempt if it is in the CO though.

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM

No. If the CO says the parents can cross state lines, it would be contempt. But only if it is stated in the CO.

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM

It says 30 days written notice must be given to CROSS state lines?  wow, that's really weird.

Quoting miapia1020: Co says 30 days written notice must be given, so I know it would be contempt, but I didn't know if it was also a federal offense since state lines would be crossed
Quoting progressandjoy: Does the CO say anything about crossing state lines? We live right on the border between four different states. We frequently cross state lines.

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Same here. Such a clause would be ridiculous in my CO.

amantonacci
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:46 PM
Is it really something to get all bent out of shape over? Was the kid injured? Were they home on time? If the kid wasn't hurt by it and they weren't late coming home what's the big deal?

Quoting miapia1020: Co says 30 days written notice must be given, so I know it would be contempt, but I didn't know if it was also a federal offense since state lines would be crossed

sm1bm3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this
In my CO the children are not allowed the leave the county with anyone other than myself.
In my DHs CO his child is not to leave the county with either parent without providing the OP with contact details as well as all vacation itineraries including where the child will be staying and contact info for the hotel and any relatives they will be visiting. Flight info must also be included if that is involved. If the trip conflicts with visitation then it must be made up in a reasonable amount of time.
miapia1020
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 6:38 PM
We live in the middle of the state. Co says 30 days written notice to leave the state. No idea why it's in there other than it's the standard form for our state

Quoting whatIknownow:

It says 30 days written notice must be given to CROSS state lines?  wow, that's really weird.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)