Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Last name

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 5:16 PM
  • 55 Replies
Do any of you get kind of bothered that the ex wife kept your Dh last name?
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Nope. It ties her to her son. She is not on my radar so it doesnt bother me.

runinpinkshoes
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 5:32 PM
Eh, not really. There are so many other things she does that are more worthy of being bothered by, lol. She hyphenated it after the divorce, but even if she hadn't, I feel secure in my relationship to know that I'm "the only" to DH.

There was one time it was a little weird for DH and I. SD9 was reading a presentation I'd done, and it had my first and last name on it. And she said, "It should be first name-maiden name-last name like mommy!" It was just a little too sister wives. :) Neither of us said anything of course. It's not like she understands why it was weird for us.
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 5:42 PM
DH was never married to BM so this isn't an issue for me.

If DH and were I to divorce I'd probably go back to my maiden name because I like it better.
jules2boys
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 5:55 PM

I think SM did at the beginning but if it bothered her much after that, I never heard about it (which would be unusual).  xMIL kept her last name (same as XH's, her DSs, same as mine) even though she and xFIL divorced when BF was in pre-school.  I didn't see a reason to change it either.  XH was happy I didnt' (not sure why).  xFIL was happy I kept it (he said I'll always be part of the family because of the boys, and he and xMIL have remained friends through all these years, so why couldn't he and I do the same?).  xMIL was happy I kept it.  I kept it mostly because I had 2 young boys (early elementary and toddler) when the divorce happened and I did NOT want any confusion in the schools where the boys were concerned.  I also have no attachment to my maiden name so I didn't want to go back to that.  I like my formerly married name, I love his family (it's just him I'd like to throw off a bridge ;) ) and so I kept it. 

If the boys had been older (both school age at least) I may not have kept it, I don't know.

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 5:56 PM

no, because she didnt lol however HER maiden name is a very common Hispanic name that is only one letter off from his so she didnt change back very far!

i have my kids fathers last name. its been my name for almsot 20 years. it did used to bug SO. idk if it bothered any of my kids dad's SO's.

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 5:59 PM

DH and BM were never married, thankfully.

bertaboo1
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 6:09 PM
The only time it bothered me was when she had her baby with her current bf. She sent a pix txt of the childs insurance card to dh showing the chils last name as his. Said he has a girl and she is sueing for child support. Yeah...that little joke didnt go over well...
CFSTBSM27
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 6:35 PM
I would have had a few choice phrases...

Quoting bertaboo1: The only time it bothered me was when she had her baby with her current bf. She sent a pix txt of the childs insurance card to dh showing the chils last name as his. Said he has a girl and she is sueing for child support. Yeah...that little joke didnt go over well...
mrsd2013
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 6:41 PM
Bm and dh were never married or in long term relationship so non issue. Sorry.
pseudomamma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 6:51 PM
No. She even asked DH if it would be ok to give JR his last name since his BF wasn't in the picture. And it was.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)