Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

shes 10, has a phone and..

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM
  • 59 Replies
1 mom liked this
Is on it alllll the time. Last night she was up until 130 am on her phone(i saw the light from it in her bedroom when i was walking to the bathroom, im pregnant always needing to pee haha) iv told df and suggested he set limits since no kid especially not a 10yr old needs to be on the phone playing games every minute. He agreed with me and still hasnt done anything. Luckily my dd and this baby arent close in age with her because things are not going to be like this at all and i can already tell im going to be the "mean parent" because he just doesnt get it because of how he was raised. I think its common sense...
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sept-babies2
by Ashley on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah no way would I allow my kids to have a phone at that age. I didnt get a phone until I was about 14. That was when I would be at friends and not with my mom so she could call if she needed or if I needed it. Phones were not like they are now but I wasnt allowed to use it all the time.

Dh was talking about getting sd who is 5 a phone..obviously I dont have any say but sd doesnt need a phone. Now if he gives her an old phone to just play with but doesnt work..fine I dont see anything wrong with that. There is no reason she would need a working phone at this age.

ejkdmom
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Eh, it's summer. Does she have to be up early for camp or anything?  Is she like this during school?  If not, I'd let it slide.  Perhaps take the phone away at night.

rmgriffberg
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM
I didnt get a phone until I was a senior I hs. My dad had cancer and my sm needed to be able to get a hold of me incase something went wrong during his surgery and recovery
mommy1990426
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I think that;s a ridiculous age to even have a phone. It's already hard to get kids otu to play, then you add this other stuff keeping them inside and their minds not truely active.

Pero3
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM
5 moms liked this

My DD was 6 when she got her first cell ... out of necessity, since BF did not stick to the COed daily telephone calls. There were stages in her life when she used it (and her iPad) a lot, currently she only uses it to post horsey stuff.

She is now nearly 14, a straight A student ... she obviously survived her incompetent mother's bad parenting!

CFSTBSM27
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:28 PM
3 moms liked this
SD 10 has a phone and an iPad mini. The phone meh she's not on much but the iPad good lord mind craft is like crack for kids! It's summer it's doesn't really bother us. She plays games most of the day but she's not staying up all night on it. Idk I just don't think it's that big of a deal
sheramom4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Pero3:

My DD was 6 when she got her first cell ... out of necessity, since BF did not stick to the COed daily telephone calls. There were stages in her life when she used it (and her iPad) a lot, currently she only uses it to post horsey stuff.

She is now nearly 14, a straight A student ... she obviously survived her incompetent mother's bad parenting!

Mine have all had phones at 10. They are active kids and I wanted them to be able to call from activities and stuff. My youngest is almost 11 and uses her phone to play games, send texts to grandparents and watch Minecraft youtube videos. My oldest is almost 19 and is rarely on social media and basically sends texts. All four are honor roll students and all went through a phase where they used it too much. I let it go for awhile and then would impose some "rules" if their usage was getting out of hand or preventing other things from being accomplished. They have survived my bad parenting too!

Pero3
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, love, you and I obviously failed when it comes to screwing up our children ... badly!

Quoting sheramom4:

Quoting Pero3:

Mine have all had phones at 10. They are active kids and I wanted them to be able to call from activities and stuff. My youngest is almost 11 and uses her phone to play games, send texts to grandparents and watch Minecraft youtube videos. My oldest is almost 19 and is rarely on social media and basically sends texts. All four are honor roll students and all went through a phase where they used it too much. I let it go for awhile and then would impose some "rules" if their usage was getting out of hand or preventing other things from being accomplished. They have survived my bad parenting too!

sheramom4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting CFSTBSM27: SD 10 has a phone and an iPad mini. The phone meh she's not on much but the iPad good lord mind craft is like crack for kids! It's summer it's doesn't really bother us. She plays games most of the day but she's not staying up all night on it. Idk I just don't think it's that big of a deal

I found a solution to Minecraft crack. I enrolled my younger two in the summer program for Minecraft Homeschool. It's a science camp where they have to complete quizzes and things to be able to build their assigned project for the week. Education plus a game they love= mom win!

sheramom4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Quoting Pero3:

Well, love, you and I obviously failed when it comes to screwing up our children ... badly!

Quoting sheramom4:

Quoting Pero3:

And I tried so hard to make them as screwed up as possible. I hate to admit my failures lol!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)