Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

i hate summer break - a spin off

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:50 PM
  • 46 Replies

of my money problems post. i hate telling SO cuz then he stresses the hell out. he has been going home at lunch to check on the kids and then screams at them all for making a mess and eating all the food and "being lazy asses". well wtf do you think five unsupervised kids are gonna do all day?

we are butt bootie broke feeding them all. i wonder if my parents hated summer break when i was a kid as much as i do. we were 'po too. i dont REMEMBER fighting or starving. lol. i was sort of an oblivious kid though.

ive been having my own issues w ds16 so i was yelling at him last night and this morning so he was already ass hurt then SO comes home and screams at them all at lunch break so now i got SO in one ear bitching about the kids and my son in the other bitching about being yelled at and blamed (he is lazy and eats everything, ftr) i told ds16 i yelled at him for something completely different and that it wasnt only him that SO was yelling at.

i fucking hate my life right now. i need a drank but dont have $ for one.

i also think im going to ask SO if we can take skids half week on and half week off instead of week on week off. i cant stand weeks at a time of this shit.

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grits71
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Our grocery bill goes up during the summer also and we have the same lazyness at our house.   At least SD stays with Grandma during the day or it would double.  I hate buying food.  You eat then you poop.  It's literally a waste of money to me.  Can the teens get some odd jobs to help out maybe?  I know in our area, they have the summer lunch program for any kid under 18.  Do you have anything like that?  I gave SS chores to do since he won't get a job.  He doesn't do them worth a crap but at least I feel better about it.  I'm sorry you are going through this.  Take the others advice on the Dave Ramsey piece.  It really will help if you follow it.  You might try an anxiety medicine also, if you don't mind taking one.  They have helped me when I've felt overwhelmed.  

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:11 PM

i know its going to go up with the kids home more but the thing is there are now 5 kids at my house full time this week, not two. there would be six if ds19 was there but he is tired of the noise and kids all over so he stays gone most of the day.

ZennMomma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM

at the risk of sounding like an ass as a SAHM....

I dont enjoy summer break either.
I don't like a lot of noise (hahaha Good luck with that right?) and I get my recharge by being alone.
I usually send the kids outside to play a lot, we haven't set up our little pool yet though....

OP
Is there ANY way you can set up a meal time plan for the kids to follow and they will follow it? Bribes maybe?
I know that doesn't often work unless a parent is home...but...maybe?

i'm sorry :( 

grits71
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Can they cook for themselves?  If so maybe stop buying snacks and let them fix their own meals.  SS17 lives off cereal, ramen noodles and nachos during the day.  He won't eat the cheaper brand of the cereal though so i buy the branded stuff which is ridiculous but whatever.  He can go through 3-4 boxes a week.  Thinking about it, I think I will buy the cheap stuff and put it in the brand box and see if he notices the difference.  Anyway - can you go to maybe a wholesale club or do you have aldi's where you live?  Clip coupons?  Maybe get the kids engaged in helping clip them and see who can save the most with what they've got?  Bad idea though if your kids/skids aren't that type.  Do you qualify for assistance?

Quoting faerie75:

i know its going to go up with the kids home more but the thing is there are now 5 kids at my house full time this week, not two. there would be six if ds19 was there but he is tired of the noise and kids all over so he stays gone most of the day.

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:23 PM

i wish they would stop eating my kitchen like locusts.

ds16 is 6"3, 200 pounds and already started football practice.

BM's 16 year old is there.

ss13 is there and his football practice will be starting soon.

ss11 and ss6 dont eat a whole lot. but they are messy and wont listen to the older ones. SO comes home at lunch adn scream at everyone over the mess. i EXPECT a mess w 5 unsupervised kids. i hate it, but im not going to scream. the food bill is what is stressing me.

Quoting ZennMomma:

I dont enjoy summer break either.I don't like a lot of noise (hahaha Good luck with that right?) and I get my recharge by being alone.I usually send the kids outside to play a lot, we haven't set up our little pool yet though....

OPIs there ANY way you can set up a meal time plan for the kids to follow and they will follow it? Bribes maybe?I know that doesn't often work unless a parent is home...but...maybe?

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:25 PM

the only thing i qualify for is WIC. blah.

Quoting grits71:

Can they cook for themselves?  If so maybe stop buying snacks and let them fix their own meals.  SS17 lives off cereal, ramen noodles and nachos during the day.  He won't eat the cheaper brand of the cereal though so i buy the branded stuff which is ridiculous but whatever.  He can go through 3-4 boxes a week.  Thinking about it, I think I will buy the cheap stuff and put it in the brand box and see if he notices the difference.  Anyway - can you go to maybe a wholesale club or do you have aldi's where you live?  Clip coupons?  Maybe get the kids engaged in helping clip them and see who can save the most with what they've got?  Bad idea though if your kids/skids aren't that type.  Do you qualify for assistance?

Quoting faerie75:

Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I feel your pain-we have the stepkids all summer-our bills go up-AND DH still pays BM CS......I told him-this summer I am not spending any extra money on his kids (right now we split everything) because I have to buy extra groceries for Princess for breakfast/lunch at school and she's hit a growth spurt and I need to replace a lot of her summer wardrobe.

It sucks being this broke, but I deal somehow.

ZennMomma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Hmm...

Lots of Eggs? Pancakes?
Cold pasta dishes? I use to buy Pasta Roni a lot, they are usually cheap.
Mac n cheese?
Potatoes can go far.

That sounds stressful, I am sorry I dont have better ideas :(

Quoting faerie75:

ss11 and ss6 dont eat a whole lot. but they are messy and wont listen to the older ones. SO comes home at lunch adn scream at everyone over the mess. i EXPECT a mess w 5 unsupervised kids. i hate it, but im not going to scream. the food bill is what is stressing me.

Quoting ZennMomma:

I dont enjoy summer break either.I don't like a lot of noise (hahaha Good luck with that right?) and I get my recharge by being alone.I usually send the kids outside to play a lot, we haven't set up our little pool yet though....

OPIs there ANY way you can set up a meal time plan for the kids to follow and they will follow it? Bribes maybe?I know that doesn't often work unless a parent is home...but...maybe?

sm1bm3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Coupons. Seriously. It's not anything like the tv show btw. I have saved a lot of money though. It may not seem like much but if you step back and add up the savings it builds up pretty quick.

Quoting grits71:

Quoting faerie75:

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:37 PM

well my dinner menu for this week was:

Mexican tacos (carne asada, corn tortillas, cilantro and salsa) that meal cost about $20

spaghetti, broccoli and carrots, and garlic bread. that meal cost about $11

pork chops,mashed potatoes and gravy, and corn on cob. this was the expensive meal of the week. i hate just feeding them crap or cheap stuff ALL the time so i do make one pricier "meat" dinner a week. about $25, would have been more but one of the packs of meat was clearance.

lasagna, fettucine and salad. about $17

chicken enchiladas, rice and salad. $10

i try to cook inexpensive and dont make a lot of meat as an entree meals. but its the snacking ALL DAMN DAY. and all teh cereal. and drinks.

Quoting ZennMomma:

Hmm...

Lots of Eggs? Pancakes?Cold pasta dishes? I use to buy Pasta Roni a lot, they are usually cheap.Mac n cheese?Potatoes can go far.

That sounds stressful, I am sorry I dont have better ideas :(

Quoting faerie75:

Quoting ZennMomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN