Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Making kids eat things, kids just don't eat.

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:54 AM
  • 76 Replies

There has been many times ODD comes home from her dad's house and is saying she didnt get what she wanted to eat or she was forced to eat things she didnt like.

I have always told my kids you take a "thank you bite" and if you try it and do not like it will will figure something else out to eat. I remember in the WAAAAY beginning, SM told me she like peas or green beans, i said "he if you can get DD do like those, go for it" now DD LOOOOVES green beans, like she could eat a whole (salad) plate of them to herself.

But over the past almost 8years she has told me "my brother got string cheese and dad just yelled at me and I didnt get any" or "SM made me eat cottage cheese, and I hated it. Its icky. But i HAD to eat it." Again I tell her the rules that i've told BF also, you need to eat a "thank you bite" and go from there. There are more foods that she has had to eat there that she DOES not like. I mean what child likes cottage cheese. I never liked it till an adult.

How would you deal with it? Would you mention it?

by on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
venessaw04
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Is it everything?  Is she starving when she comes back home.  And just for the recorded 3 of my kids love cottage cheese.  How old is your DD?  Its not like this is something new if SM has been around for 8 years.  Its is not my home i would not tell them what they are to feed her.

SKW86
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:16 AM

She is 8 years old, also. but the texture of cottage chesse, isnt her forte'. she knows about taking a bite and if she doesnt like it then don't eat it. but you have to take 1 bite. she has said SM makes her eat ALL of the cottage cheese and keeps making her eat it other days also, even when she asks for something else. its a constant thing she says that SM makes her eat things that she doesnt like.

I know how my DD is, there are things she will eat at her dad's that she won't eat at my house. she is starting to change that little by little

Quoting venessaw04:

Is it everything?  Is she starving when she comes back home.  And just for the recorded 3 of my kids love cottage cheese.  How old is your DD?  Its not like this is something new if SM has been around for 8 years.  Its is not my home i would not tell them what they are to feed her.

cdrainey3
by Cher on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:17 AM
8 moms liked this
I make dinner and if my kids don't "like" it then too bad. I am not a personal chef and will not make something other than what I already made. Obviously I try to make foods that the kids don't actually hate. Like onions and pees. I'm not making spaghetti every night though, so even if they don't like chicken and potatoes that much, they are gonna need to get over it or starve. I could totally see my ss going home and saying the same things to his mom. Sorry a "thank you bite" wouldn't fly in my house. Eat it or don't.
LNLMommy
by Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:19 AM

We have the same rule in my house-eat what is fixed or don't eat. We avoid trying to deliberately make foods that we know the kids don't like (like SS hated baked beans). 

SKW86
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:22 AM

No i totally agree, eat what I make or don't eat. But when its a constant thing like cottage cheese, there are other alternitives. Making a kid eat cottage cheese and fruit for breakfast, granted I would eat that every day for breakfast, most kids won't. Why is it so hard to let the kids PICK something they want for breakfast, or not get in trouble for asking for cereal or something else.

Its not like its a HUGE meal made for all in the family, its something dumped out of a container.

Quoting cdrainey3: I make dinner and if my kids don't "like" it then too bad. I am not a personal chef and will not make something other than what I already made. Obviously I try to make foods that the kids don't actually hate. Like onions and pees. I'm not making spaghetti every night though, so even if they don't like chicken and potatoes that much, they are gonna need to get over it or starve. I could totally see my ss going home and saying the same things to his mom. Sorry a "thank you bite" wouldn't fly in my house. Eat it or don't.

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
SS either eats, or waits until the next meal.

I understand that there are things that kids don't like. I myself am a picky eater, so I truly do understand. However, SS pushes it to the extreme.

He complains about everything anyone makes, even if it's his favorite food. Last week he was complaining about how much he hates chicken. Anything with chicken was unbearably gross. Instead, he just wanted to fill up on bread and dessert (because that was the only thing that taste good).

We give him very small portions (a spoon size serving) and we expect him to finish his plate. If he says he's full or hates the food, that's fine. He can eat at the next meal.
cdrainey3
by Cher on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Yeah I hear you. I know my ss does not like eggs. He hasn't his whole life and I know that so I would never make him eggs and say sorry this is what we are having. Especially for breakfast. I don't know if its something you should talk to bf about though. Encourage your daughter to talk to him.

Quoting SKW86:

No i totally agree, eat what I make or don't eat. But when its a constant thing like cottage cheese, there are other alternitives. Making a kid eat cottage cheese and fruit for breakfast, granted I would eat that every day for breakfast, most kids won't. Why is it so hard to let the kids PICK something they want for breakfast, or not get in trouble for asking for cereal or something else.

Its not like its a HUGE meal made for all in the family, its something dumped out of a container.

Quoting cdrainey3: I make dinner and if my kids don't "like" it then too bad. I am not a personal chef and will not make something other than what I already made. Obviously I try to make foods that the kids don't actually hate. Like onions and pees. I'm not making spaghetti every night though, so even if they don't like chicken and potatoes that much, they are gonna need to get over it or starve. I could totally see my ss going home and saying the same things to his mom. Sorry a "thank you bite" wouldn't fly in my house. Eat it or don't.

LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:50 AM
9 moms liked this

You cannot control the other house - you just cannot.  They choose to ascribe to the parenting method by which the child must eat what is on their plate.  You opt on the "try it and see" method - neither is right or wrong - neither is better or worse - they are just different.  Let this go - you cannot win this battle.  Allow BF to parent as he sees fit. 

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Quoting LyndaLoo78:

You cannot control the other house - you just cannot.  They choose to ascribe to the parenting method by which the child must eat what is on their plate.  You opt on the "try it and see" method - neither is right or wrong - neither is better or worse - they are just different.  Let this go - you cannot win this battle.  Allow BF to parent as he sees fit. 

As always, what she said.

CFSTBSM27
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Agreed!! It's weird tho because SD is such a good eater she'll try anything once! She knows that what's for dinner lunch etc is what's for lunch. If she would rather have spaghettios for lunch than tuna salad meh no biggie, she can make her food and clean up after. But like you said I'm not gonna go make it for her she's a big girl. In anything BM has told me a few times SD has on occasion criticized her samiches because I put cucumber lol. She's picky at MILs or she ask me or should I say whispers..."can you make it taste better" lol
I don't think you should force kids to eat something but they don't get a personalized menu! Somewhere in the middle you meet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)