Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

very curious

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:51 PM
  • 63 Replies
Should a 6 year old be able to have a choice or make complete decision on everything that has to do with them or the father
by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amantonacci
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:55 PM

What kind of decisions?

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 7:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm leaning towards no because I own a six year old and they just don't always have the best logic or make the best choices...

However, I have a feeling there's more to this than yes and no.

So, what's the sitch?

amantonacci
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:04 PM

What if it's about clothes? Or what toys to bring to the other parents?

Quoting AmericanDream:

I'm leaning towards no because I own a six year old and they just don't always have the best logic or make the best choices...

So, what's the sitch?

Deadl1ests1n87
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:07 PM
Who's going to babysit, what he eats what he wears. If we are going out it is his choice. And if he doesn't get his way he starts yelling and the father and demanding.his father does whatever he says sorry for rambling at work

Quoting amantonacci:

What kind of decisions?

Deadl1ests1n87
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:10 PM
I see it this way he is a child as a parent you should give them the liberty to have choices in certain things but not everything the child is not rating himself.... I have spoken to the father and the father states that a child should make all of the choices and this is just one of the issues I have with the father there far many more
AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:11 PM

It is still situational. 

Playing devil's advocate here, but I can think of many sitches where a parent might tell the kid "no" to bringing things like that.  However, that would only be an okay think in extreme circumstances. For example, we got skid a netbook. BM has a history of pawning stuff for money (yes, including the kids' stuff).  Netbook doesn't go to BM's. Is it SD's? Yes, of course... but we have a valid reason for saying "no."

Quoting amantonacci:

Quoting AmericanDream:

So, what's the sitch?

Deadl1ests1n87
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Toys and clothes wouldn't be a big deal but making decision for the family or yelling at the dad because he doesn't get his way is a big deal to me

Quoting amantonacci:

Quoting AmericanDream:

So, what's the sitch?

amantonacci
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM

If dad doesn't have a problem with giving in to him then no the only one I would have a problem with my kid attempting to dictate is babysitters

Quoting Deadl1ests1n87: Who's going to babysit, what he eats what he wears. If we are going out it is his choice. And if he doesn't get his way he starts yelling and the father and demanding.his father does whatever he says sorry for rambling at work
Quoting amantonacci:

What kind of decisions?

amantonacci
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Yes I can see where that would be a problem.., I didn't think about that one.

Quoting AmericanDream:

It is still situational. 

Playing devil's advocate here, but I can think of many sitches where a parent might tell the kid "no" to bringing things like that.  However, that would only be an okay think in extreme circumstances. For example, we got skid a netbook. BM has a history of pawning stuff for money (yes, including the kids' stuff).  Netbook doesn't go to BM's. Is it SD's? Yes, of course... but we have a valid reason for saying "no."

Quoting amantonacci:

Quoting AmericanDream:

So, what's the sitch?

amantonacci
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Is it your child? If not and your spouse doesn't have a problem with it there's not much you can do

Quoting Deadl1ests1n87: Toys and clothes wouldn't be a big deal but making decision for the family or yelling at the dad because he doesn't get his way is a big deal to me
Quoting amantonacci:

Quoting AmericanDream:

So, what's the sitch?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN