Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

These kids are CRAZY!

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

DS and SD that is. DS is 11 and SD is 14 (but, due to developmental delays related to a birth disorder is developmentally closer to about 10).

We live in a fairly large apartment complex that has larger apartments (3 and 4 bedrooms) so we have a LOT of families living here. The super awesome part about that is that there is never a shortage of kids to hang out with. Our house has become the "hang out" place for a lot of the middle school aged kids (which is weird because we don't even have cool snacks, LOL, mostly just fruits and veggies and water). But, we have a wii U and lots of board games and listen to music all day long, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Before any of the kids are allowed to come inside I make sure their parents know where they are and are OK with them coming in. Right now DS and two friends are playing Skylander.

Anyways, this has now translated into the kids making plans to stay the night with their friends, friends who's parents we've never met. Now, DH and I are pretty lax about most things, we give the kiddos room to make mistakes and learn from them, but also help guide them into making the best decisions possible. Going into someone's house we don't know is not OK, staying the night with someone who's parents we don't know also not OK.

And, the kicker, SD has now made plans to go to the beach (a minimum of 90 minutes away, but depending on which beach it could be 2 1/2 hours away) with a friend who's parents we haven't met. All she's told DH is that they're going for the day tomorrow to the beach. When DH told her he wasn't sure that was a good idea and before he could even think about saying yes he needed to meet the friend's mom SD was super upset (poor kiddo started crying). SD is now upstairs on the phone with her friend trying to get all the information DH wants and she's trying to schedule a time for DH to meet her friend's mom.

These kids are crazy! LOL But, I remember trying to do the same thing as a kid, making plans and then hoping my parents would just say yes because the plans were already made (it worked as well for these kiddos as it did for me as a kid).

by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MBanks524
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:26 PM
You are doing the right thing. Nowadays you cannot be to careful in regards to your kids. My kids won't go unless I meet parents, have their numbers for contact etc..... No way
6isus
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:54 PM
Oh the plans kids can make followed by devastation and bewilderment when their parents don't just have the same excitement they have. Yup it's a stumbling block in childhood for sure. Trust me, she will get over it!
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

When I was 16 I wanted SO desperately to go with a few friends to this underage club. You had to be 16 to get in and they didn't serve alcohol. My dad said no way. I cannot tell you how long I was devastated. About a year later (when I started caring about the news, LOL)  I heard all sorts of horror stories of girls getting date-raped there. Older guys would go there and prey on younger girls. SO thankful my dad wouldn't let me go.

I

Quoting 6isus: Oh the plans kids can make followed by devastation and bewilderment when their parents don't just have the same excitement they have. Yup it's a stumbling block in childhood for sure. Trust me, she will get over it!

Boobear110
by Audra on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:25 PM

It must be all the hair dye you allow them to use has seeped into their brains and has caused permant damage. Shame on you. 

Go sit in the corner! 

tiafez
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM

oh I remember those days, mine and then my sons. She will survive this upset but good for you parents for doing the right thing!!! better safe than sorry.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:38 PM

LMAO!!

Except SD has never dyed her hair! So, what could possibly be her excuse? LOL

We actually met with the mom a bit ago (I've met her a couple of times at the school since I'm on the PTO, but we don't know each other well). Turns out SD is crazy and the "beach" they're going to is a river not 10 minutes away from us, LOL. So, after meeting with the mom and figuring out the actual plans, SD is going with them. They're only going for a few hours. They're going to have a picnic and swim for a bit, then come home. All of the adults exchanged cell phone numbers too.

Quoting Boobear110:

It must be all the hair dye you allow them to use has seeped into their brains and has caused permant damage. Shame on you. 

Go sit in the corner! 

Boobear110
by Audra on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Her excuse is that sometimes kids are just plain pains in the asses. 

Glad it all worked out well with the other parents. I'm the same way with my kids. That is a no, no in my home too. 

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

LMAO!!Except SD has never dyed her hair! So, what could possibly be her excuse? LOL

We actually met with the mom a bit ago (I've met her a couple of times at the school since I'm on the PTO, but we don't know each other well). Turns out SD is crazy and the "beach" they're going to is a river not 10 minutes away from us, LOL. So, after meeting with the mom and figuring out the actual plans, SD is going with them. They're only going for a few hours. They're going to have a picnic and swim for a bit, then come home. All of the adults exchanged cell phone numbers too.

Quoting Boobear110:

Go sit in the corner! 

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM

I like having all the neighborhood kids here, because then I know exactly what they are all doing! We live next door to our city's YMCA and as part of our lease we get a free membership for our family. So, the kids are either at the Y swimming (our church uses the Y for our service so at least half of the people who work there know our kiddos) or at our house hanging out. I don't even mind feeding the extra kiddos snacks, LOL

Quoting Boobear110:

Glad it all worked out well with the other parents. I'm the same way with my kids. That is a no, no in my home too. 

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

LMAO!!Except SD has never dyed her hair! So, what could possibly be her excuse? LOL

Quoting Boobear110:

Go sit in the corner! 

Boobear110
by Audra on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I get it, trust me. I woukd much rather have my kids friends here. That way I know what they are doing. 

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

I like having all the neighborhood kids here, because then I know exactly what they are all doing! We live next door to our city's YMCA and as part of our lease we get a free membership for our family. So, the kids are either at the Y swimming (our church uses the Y for our service so at least half of the people who work there know our kiddos) or at our house hanging out. I don't even mind feeding the extra kiddos snacks, LOL

Quoting Boobear110:

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Quoting Boobear110:

Go sit in the corner! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)