Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Allowances with SK's? Do you and how do you pay??

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:30 AM
  • 34 Replies

I was curious how allowance is handled in your homes in regards to stepkids and what type of custody situation you have.  What is the allowance for?  

Here we have SS8 50% of the time and pay up to $5.00 a week for allowance.  This is for keeping his room cleaned and doing a few extra things around the house depending on what needs to be done (trash, litter pan, etc).  We pay on Sundays, and have him at least a portion of every week (start of the custody week is Thursday).  Half of what he earns goes into savings, which he can't touch at this point.

Really this is just a curiousity question.  I wasn't sure how those of you that have the SKs every other weekend handle allowance.   

by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:36 AM

DH gives SS a weekly allowance so he can save and purchase any little thing he wants for himself. He would give extra for a good report or for improvements on it.

andie646c
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:37 AM

When SS's were here "EOWE" we would pay them per chore after they took out the trash. If we had to nag them to do any chores though, they didn't get money. They had to up and voluntarily do them. We ended up never giving them money because they cared too much about other things. I think we gave a couple of dollars each chore.

Now that DH is CP, we have chore charts. They aren't just for chores, they are for anything that we seem to have trouble getting them to do. It's a laminated chart with bubbles that I fill in. Each time they do a "chore" I fill in a bubble next to that chore on the chart.

Chores listed are; take out trash, do homework, brush teeth, clean dishes, clean kitchen, clean room, clean bathroom, mow yard, and shower.

Yeah, some of those are daily hygeine things and probably shouldn't require that we give a bubble for it. Well, these kids aren't all that clean of children, lol.

One they get to 100 bubbles, they get $50.

tinybluemoon
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Generally, no we don't give them an allowence. Allowences are earned and they are not here long enough to earn one.

However, they've been here for a month now and the younger two will be here for yet another, so they are subject to the house rules at the moment, which are do your chores and you will get your age in dollars at the end of the week. So that is how we are doing it.

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Our kids have never gotten an allowance.

SD gets a clothing allowance, which is $40 a month, to be spent on clothing only. DD used to get the same kind of allowance. For some reason we never did that with the boys, because they needed fewer and less expensive clothes.

But we don't give an allowance for discretionary spending -- they use birthday money/yardwork money or whatever, for that.

Sept-babies2
by Patriot's Fan on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:49 AM
My kids dont really get an allowance. They all have piggy banks and once in awhile they get change or a few ones. They are young so they dont need money to go get anything. It would be easy to do it though because sd is here everyday.
progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:02 AM
SS 7 is here 50% of the time, Friday through Friday. We don't give allowance, or pay for chores. SS helps out with whatever chore needs to be done, because to us - that's just part of being a family.

When we have extra things to do (unloading firewood, painting, carrying materials to the bar) we tell him how much he can earn. Also, any change on the floor or in the wash is a free for all.

We buy what he needs (and sometimes we'll get him something he wants), but if he wants something expensive he can use his own money.
laughnchica
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Skiddos don't really get an allowance. SS11 found a job mowing lawns and cleaning dog poop so he gets paid for that and that is the money he earns. SD9 will rake sometimes after DH mows the lawn and he will pay her for that if she takes the initiative to do that. Otherwise, it is gift money for them. All three have chores around the house but they are to do that as their daily chores not get paid to keep their room clean...should be a normal life task.

GloBug62
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:45 AM

SS gets $5 a week for cleaning litter boxes. That is the only chore he has that does not consist of him cleaning up after himself in some way. I alwyas tell him, nobody pays me for cleaning my room, or doing dishes, or any sort of house cleaning. He also gets paid for mowing the lawn.

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:18 PM
2 moms liked this

we dont have allowance because no one has "Set" chores, they just do as they are asked (most of the time) we give them money here or there as needed or if they want money we tell them to do this and that.

CFSTBSM27
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:30 PM
We're EOW SD doesn't do any chores so no we don't do any allowances. I believe BM does tho
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)