My stepson and his fiance are getting married today, yesterday was the rehearsal. My son is the ring bearer and my daughter is the flower girl, they both did very well at, as my daughter called it, the practice wedding. My daughter (6yo) has been so excited about this wedding, you'd think it was hers! lol
Anyway, the rehearsal goes well. We actually only had to run through it once, everyone did so perfectly. Then we just went over the expectations for tomorrow, when/where everyone is supposed to go and what time to be there and yadda yadda yadda. My soon-to-be stepdaughter-in-law and her bridesmaids fawned over my daughter for about half an hour (nothing new there) and the guys all hung out for a few while the coordinator and I discussed the flowers, the ring box, the lanterns and general placement/returning of things before, during and after the wedding.
Then comes the rehearsal dinner which turned into an expected party. MIL, FIL, SIL showed up, family members of the bridesmaids and coordinator showed up, lots of people. Here's where things got awkward...
Every time I was engaged in conversation, whether I started it or someone else started talking to me, MIL would come over to monopolize whoever I was talking to. After half an hour, I was very much alone at the end of one of the two long tables we had for the party. I spent about 90% of the party sitting there by myself and taking pictures, the other 10% was when the meals arrived. Now the bride-to-be and my husband's ex wife did their best to include me but it was very difficult and I don't blame anyone for giving up after awhile.
Speaking of pictures, I did ask to get a shot of my husband with his four kids. MIL noticed and said they needed a picture with the grandparents too. Right before I take the picture, she calls my husband's ex wife over and says we need "a family picture." My husband's ex wife reluctantly joins the pictures and it's really obvious that me, ex wife and her husband are uncomfortable about this particular family picture but, not our party and we didn't want to make things more uncomfortable than they already were.
The best part though was the stroll down memory lane. My husband and I got married at the courthouse because we couldn't afford an actual wedding at the time and also felt that it was wasteful to spend so much money on one day at that time when we had other uses that we both felt were more important (like buying our house and getting a new car since mine was totalled). My husband promised that we would save up as much as we could and, on our fifth wedding anniversary, we'd have a vow renewal ceremony. That would've been last year but MIL felt that anniversaries are private celebrations for the couples only so cancelled my event, my husband was a dumbass that didn't check with me first when his mom told him that "I" cancelled it so... yeah. And yes, it was easy for her to do as I'd cut my side of the family out of our lives so everyone invited was all on his side.
So, they're all reminiscing about the bride's parents' wedding and the groom's parents' wedding. What bothered me about this was my MIL taking me aside and saying "DH and ex wife had a beautiful wedding, it wasn't like yours, they actually got married," laughed and walked back to join the conversations.
I didn't say anything, I don't plan to say anything. I'm sure some excuse will be made for her and, honestly, I don't want to hear it. I'm going to vent about it here on cafemom and let it go.
I do feel better getting it out.