Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Step daughter announces engagement to her dad, but not me....

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:21 PM
  • 34 Replies
Sooo, my step-daughter texts her dad pics of her getting engaged last night (DH knew it was coming as her bf asked him for her hand in marriage), but sent me nothing. Today I see the pics and announcement on Facebook. I'm really hurt by this. I don't plan on saying anything to her about it. Am I being over-sensitive in being hurt? Should she have let me know as well? I thought we had a good relationship :(
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chanizen
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Why does it upset you?

I wouldn't be upset over this. I would think "good for her" and be glad she let dad know and figured she was letting me know through him.

Why are you upset rather than happy for her?
PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:24 PM
How long have you known her? Did she ever live with you?

I send my dad all kinds of family news and not my SM. I don't really see her as my direct family though. But I was in my early twenties when they got together.
cdrainey3
by Cher on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you're being over sensitive! I'm sure she thought her dad would show you. I do that to my own parents, especially if its at night and I know they are probably sitting there with each other.
PinkButterfly66
by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I think you're over reacting.  I would assume that her dad would tell you the good news.   You two live together, right?

mommytothree07
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM
Maybe she figured he would show you?
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I can't say if you are being over-sensitive or not, that would depend on how close your relationship with your SD was. Did you think you had a close relationship with her that would elevate you to the status to get a personal notification as the Dad?

Mrsg678
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Yes! She lived with us full time from age 15 until she went to college. And, yes, I did think we were close enough that she would send both her dad and I the pics!
Mrsg678
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Of course I'm happy for her, though a little concerned as they've only dated 4 months!
Mrsg678
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:10 PM
And....I've never met the guy. Her dads met him once. She moved to MI in May to be with him. We live in AZ!
jules2boys
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:21 PM
So she lived with you for 3 years before leaving for college. That's not that long really. I bet she figured her dad would share with you (he did, right?). Unless there is a lot more you haven't shared yet I suspect you are over reacting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)